PDA

View Full Version : One more from the south...

Don Railton
02-09-2015, 04:41 AM
Hi all,

Another taken on the same morning as my last two posts taken in dull conditions. I have spent a little more time on this one trying to lift the colours etc but the only real fix is a revisit & reshoot in better conditions IMHO. I am only putting 'lipstick on the pig' so to speak, but feel free to tell me what you think anyway...

1D4 and 70 to 200 F2.8 I at 180mm, sitting on a tripod.
1/25 sec at F14, ISO 160.
cropped a little of the top and bottom...

My usual process is to adjust black and white points in ACR and adjust the highlights and shadows to suit. Then imported into CS6 where i worked on the sky, water and rocks in three different layers, adjusting mainly the colour and vibrance levels. Finally used the NIK output sharpening selectively (rocks only).

DON

Andreas Liedmann
02-09-2015, 03:16 PM
Hi Don i like the rock formation very much with all the detail you extracted , nice color contrast with greenery and the various colors in the rocks and sea .
The image does look a bit bright overall with some missing mid tone , well for my eyes . You have blown the HL in all three channels , so there is not enough detail in the HL for me . Watch the halos at contrast edges :w3.

TFS Andreas

Don Railton
02-09-2015, 06:59 PM
Thanks Andreas.. agreed, the water does looked cooked now. I did pull it back early in the processing but seem to have missed checking it in later layers.

regards

DON

Andrew McLachlan
02-09-2015, 07:03 PM
Hi Don, I like the overall scene here and yep better lighting would be nice again. The white water does look blown in this post and mid-tone contrast could use a bump up too. I see one dust bunny about halfway along the edge of the rounded rock. I think this would be an impressive vista during stormy seas with waves crashing into those rocks.

Don Railton
02-09-2015, 09:05 PM
Hi Andrew

Thanks for the comments... I now have a feeling I might have picked up the wrong image because I did address that bunny and the water... and you are right about this coast as well, it is open to the Great Southern Ocean and the waves crashing onto this coast can be very spectacular. I have been fishing off this coast in a small boat where it was like standing in a lift all day as the boat rose and fell over 12 - 18 ft swells rolling by... Started planning a trip in winter to capture these waves & coast..

DON

dankearl
02-09-2015, 10:23 PM
Better than the first two, but I still think you can get a lot more out of your processing.
More contrast in the clouds and more color in the water.
The rock cliffs look good.....

Don Railton
02-09-2015, 10:58 PM
Thanks Dan. Will keep trying..

Morkel Erasmus
02-12-2015, 09:49 AM
I like the composition/framing here, and the processing has more punch than the previous version.
I'd like to see this in really great light - I'm sure you'll return :cheers:
Halos already mentioned...