PDA

View Full Version : Botanical Beach Vancouver Island

Steve Smith
02-07-2015, 09:14 PM
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j147/Steve_Smith43/birdphotographers/botanicalbeach19_birdphotographers_zps80d8531c.jpg

Canon 70D, EF 10=22 mm lens, F16.0 1/400, ISO 100

Before posting this image, I have been told that it is "suspect" as a nature image because there are tiny human figures visible on the beach - hand of man.
Apart from that I wonder if I have over sharpened the image and would like comments on that point.

Valerio Tarone
02-08-2015, 12:43 PM
Hi Steve, very sharp. How did you sharp the image?perfect composition.

Steve Smith
02-08-2015, 12:45 PM
Hi Valerio. I used the Topaz plugin "Clarity" to sharpen the image.

Don Lacy
02-08-2015, 09:13 PM
I have been told that it is "suspect" as a nature image because there are tiny human figures visible on the beach - hand of man.
Well, I consider humans to be as much a part of the natural world as any other living being so I am ok with that. Nice composition and flow to the image with the placement of the foreground leading into the image. I think it needs more mid tone contrast and more aggressive white and black point. The image is over sharpen and looks crunchy O prefere to use PS smart sharpen after the image is sized for the web I will often selectively sharpen the image with a layers and mask using different settings for different elements of the image.

Don Railton
02-08-2015, 11:18 PM
Hi Steve

Lovely composition and timing with the wave. I too think it lacks midtone contrast and has a flat look to it... To me the FG rock has what i think is white jaggies around the edges, so compare against the unsharpened image to determine how much of that look is due to the actual rock structure or your processing. Sometimes its just bleached rocks... The clouds are also suspect but not sure on that one... Some sites are very particular about 'hand of man' or in this case 'hands of man' this site is a bit more relaxed in that regard. So long as man is not the dominant element in the scene, I'm not bothered and you can call it a landscape IMHO.

DON

Steve Smith
02-08-2015, 11:37 PM
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j147/Steve_Smith43/birdphotographers/IMG_7389_birdphotographers_photoplus_zpsd6618504.j pg

Don - Thank you for those comments. I went back to the RAW file, generated a new TIF file and reprocessed that using layers and masks as you suggested. I have posted the revised image for comparison. I tried to implement your suggestions about the mid tones etc. Whether or not this is what you had in mind, I think it looks much better.

FWIW The "suspect" comment came from a retired simple serpent judge at our local camera club. I also think that humans are part of nature. Shake my head because the environment treats humans as part of nature but in return we insist on treating the environment as part of politics.