PDA

View Full Version : Reading Room

Wendy Kates
02-07-2015, 10:13 AM
This is an image of the Social Science Reading Room at the University of Chicago. I spent a lot of time in this room studying in the late '60's, so I had to photograph it when I went to Chicago a few months ago on vacation! Subsequently, at our local camera club, I submitted a colored and less-cropped version of this image for a competition, and the judge totally missed the gorgeous architecture, focused on the students, and said I needed to photograph it with a person walking down the middle of the aisle! So I've cropped it to hopefully focus more on the ceiling, etc., but retained the people to give it a context as well. I think converting it to B&W helps too, but let me know what you think. I realize you haven't seen the original, but the question is, where do your eyes land when you view this image. Of course I would appreciate your overall input as well.
Canon 7D
17-55 f/2.8 lens, at 17mm
f/2.8
1/10 s

Hazel Grant
02-08-2015, 05:42 PM
Don't know what the first one looked like but I think that in either, especially this one, but building stands prominent. You never know what judges think. Reminds me of a woman who spoke to our quilt guild. She showed a photo of a quilt that did not make it to the second most important quilt show in America. Then, she said, that same quilt won Best of Show in the most important one--Paducah. the eye of the beholder....but I digress. This bw version also gives the photo a more serious (studious?) look and that's what the architecture was designed for, I think. Keeping the students in it adds perspective, too

Don Railton
02-08-2015, 07:00 PM
Hi Wendy

To answer your question, my eyes end up on the distant chandelier... lead up through the center and stop... Nice symmetry, beautiful building. I Like the composition, not keen on the distortion in the verticals but its just a small person thing, it wont bother a lot of others. Could do with a little more contrast maybe but don't take any B&W advice from me because my B&W are not that wonderful.. The Judges in our camera club always have me wondering, they never seen to say what you think or see what you see... My turn tonight to be judged...

DON

Don Lacy
02-08-2015, 10:57 PM
Really nice wendy, wonderful lines and the BW conversion really enhances them

Wendy Kates
02-09-2015, 12:19 PM
Thanks, all, for your input and comments. I may take a chance and enter this version in the next camera club competition. I'll let you know how it goes! (By the way, I have other stories about subjective camera club judges but I won't go into them here!)

Andrew McLachlan
02-09-2015, 06:45 PM
Hi Wendy, I really like this one. The B&W is lovely!

Wendy Kates
02-09-2015, 08:11 PM
Thank you, Andrew!