PDA

View Full Version : Guianan Cock-of-the-Rock

Kester Clarke
02-06-2015, 07:48 PM
7D2, 500 f/4L IS
f/4.0, 1/80s, ISO2500, flash 1/16th

The Guianan COTR is more neon orange than the Andean variety which is more often photographed. The orange slice crest and cocktail dress frills are pretty sweet too. :)

This lek was on a hill in very dense forest, so it was a challenge to create sharp shots. I visited the site twice on two days, but due to restrictions could only spend a very short time each visit. Use of flash is also limited, but I begged...

Lorant Voros
02-06-2015, 09:43 PM
Super bird, very nice perch and great pose. Only thing I could wish for here is a better BG without the tree trunk. Nice work.

Marina Scarr
02-06-2015, 10:20 PM
I think you've done a great job with a difficult subject in a tough environment. You have good use of flash here and a great pose with good head angle. The BG is what it is. The bird is so unique and the pose so good, the BG issues fade away.

David Salem
02-06-2015, 11:35 PM
I totally agree with Marina. Good job with a difficult scene. I think there is just enough room to clone out the vertical distraction in the BG. Might take a few minutes to do it right, but I think it will be well worth cleaning up this beautiful and very unique image. Well done

Walker Noe
02-07-2015, 01:00 AM
Wow, perfect exposure, and doesn't look over-flashed. I agree that cloning work would perfect the image. Great bird.

TFS

Walker

Richard Flack
02-07-2015, 07:29 AM
Awesome job Kester, those are really challenging conditions and you have come away with a cracker image!

Sidharth Kodikal
02-07-2015, 08:23 AM
Amazing job indeed, Kester. What a gorgeous bird!!!
Nice use of flash, superb perch and the BG is more than good for me (although I would reduce the brightness of the trunk in the BG)
A huge winner in my book.

Grace Scalzo
02-08-2015, 10:59 AM
This is so special...I wouldn't mess with the tree too much, you were in a forest and trees grow there.:w3 The bird is so dominant due to his color that I barely noticed the tree, but a tonal adjustment wouldn't hurt it.

Satish Ranadive
02-09-2015, 12:35 AM
Excellent image of beautiful bird in habitat. Nice pose, perch and composition.

Regards,
Satish.

Juan Carlos Vindas
02-09-2015, 09:11 PM
Difficult scene? these birds do nothing but choosing the worst perches (but this one is great though :)) and the BG are always super busy. This one came out pretty good and I am you were allowed to use flash. A striking bird and amazing colours.