PDA

View Full Version : Frozen....

dankearl
02-06-2015, 06:54 PM
No Anna or Elsa......

The bottom of Horsetail Falls, Columbia Gorge, Rare winter day.

1 sec., F11, 56mm (cropped about 50%), 24-70mm f2.8 lens, D800

002_2581BP.jpg (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=149190&stc=1&d=1423266833)

Norm Dulak
02-08-2015, 03:40 PM
Hi Dan.

I think the ice formations and water are impressive. I would have preferred that you had used a somewhat faster shutter speed, to provide a little better definition of the waterfall. For me, the almost misty waterfall provides too strong a textural contrast with the more sharply defined ice formations, but that's just my personal taste. There also is a bluish cast overall that I would consider reducing.

Still, this image is very nice, and I envy you for the many photographic opportunities that your area provides!

Finally, I am interested in your comment that it was a rare winter day. What do you mean by that?

Norm

dankearl
02-08-2015, 04:06 PM
Thanks, Norm and I appreciate the critique on the SS.
I was attempting to show a strong juxtaposition between the falls an the ice.
Probably a bit too slow in this one.
By rare day I meant that the falls in the gorge only freeze once or twice each winter, rarely for more than a day or two.
This was the only cold snap this winter and we probably won't get another.
One of the reasons for the slow SS is that when they freeze, it is because the East wind is blowing 40-80 mph.
It was probably blowing 20-30 when I was there this day, so the falls are blowing all over the place.
That is the main reason for all the ice.
The air temp rarely gets below 20 degrees even in the cold snaps but the wind chill is horrific......

Norm Dulak
02-08-2015, 06:20 PM
Thanks, Dan. I appreciate your explanations, and I always enjoy your work.

Don Lacy
02-08-2015, 09:33 PM
HI Dan, This image gives me the chills just looking at it . You did a good job with placing the tones in the image from and I like the contrast between the misty water and ice.

Don Railton
02-08-2015, 10:58 PM
Hi Dan

I like this very much...Screams cold..! Good detail, interesting ice formations. I might liked to have gone a little wider include a little more to the left if it were possible.. I agree with Norms suggestions on alternative shutter speeds.

DON

Andrew McLachlan
02-09-2015, 06:43 PM
Hi Dan, this is very nice. I love the ice formations that form around waterfalls in winter...so many cool patterns to see. My only thought for this one is with the blurred branches (due to windy conditions)...I think you could crop them off without the losing the nice feel that this images has...just a thought.

Morkel Erasmus
02-12-2015, 10:03 AM
Love the cold feel here Dan - and for me your experiment with the slow SS worked a treat as it juxtaposes nicely with the crystalline icycles.
I too wish the branches Andrew pointed out weren't blurred or even in frame, but not much you can do about it. A lovely image overall.

D. Robert Franz
02-12-2015, 12:35 PM
Really like the mood/feeling of winter this fine image gives... Well done