PDA

View Full Version : File naming conventions?

Randy Stout
05-27-2008, 07:25 PM
Good evening all:

If this has been covered here before, I apologize, but I didn't find anything when I searched the site.

What file naming conventions does everyone use? I have been all over the place, varying from a strict date 1st, descriptors, etc., to subject, ie. Birds, type, GBH, location, Venice Rookery, etc.

I would appreciate some input. I use both Mac and Windows, and Aperture 2.0 and the various Nikon software.

Thanks in advance.

Randy Stout

Fabs Forns
05-27-2008, 10:31 PM
I suggest you add whatever makes it easier for you to find the file AFTER the original RAW file name, so you always know where to find the original.
If you have the ability to tag images with species, do that.

My files are kept on a dated folder inside my locations folder. Each keeps the original file number. I tag them in Lightroom.
Just one way to do things. Just be careful when re-naming so you don't loose your originals location.

I'm sure others will chime in with ideas :)

Roger Clark
05-27-2008, 11:16 PM
I have a description of how I do file names on my digital work flow web page:

http://www.clarkvision.com/photoinfo/digitalworkflow

I use directory names as well as long file names added to the original image name from the camera.

Roger

Randy Stout
05-28-2008, 09:51 AM
Thanks Fabs and Roger. I will keep tweaking my system. I appreciate Rogers concern about software coming and going, and losing track of images because of non supported software. Sometimes a more basic/universal approach is safer!

Randy

wendell westfall
06-01-2008, 06:33 PM
I'm sure this is a very individual procedure, but here's what i do, Randy. When transferring the images from the camera (via Nikon Transfer) I assign a long number to them all that includes date and time for each individual image: eg. 20080601094515.NEF -- this would represent an image taken June 1, 2008 at 9:45 and 15 sec. AM. Then after all the shoot is on the computer I assign names to each image (after that number) via the batch naming feature in XnView (free) -- first the place the picture was taken, then the subject's name. I have not found a better, easier-to-use batch naming program, though I'm sure there are some -- but certainly no Adobe product that I know of. I can now find an image by date and/or by place and/or by name. I spend some time at this, but I have found it to be very helpful a couple years later when I want to find images.

Wendell