PDA

View Full Version : Backlit Goldfinch

Aidan Briggs
02-05-2015, 07:44 PM
Taken during the summer at one of my favorite little patches of wilderness. I lost the master tiff, otherwise I would have made a larger web jpeg. Gonna have to start over with the RAW

This was one of my favorite shots for a while due to the rim lighting and the layered teasel.

Lemme know what you think! A lot of my more recent stuff doesn't completely conform to the popular style presented here, so I'm interested in any opinions.

Not a set up

50D, 500 f/4
1/800, f/6.3, ISO 400

Raybel Robles
02-05-2015, 11:39 PM
I like it! Something different and the backlight adds life to the image. I think a vertical crop would be more ideal for the frame.

Aidan Briggs
02-06-2015, 04:15 AM
Thanks Raybel! I appreciate your input! I disagree with you about the vertical though, I think that would throw off the compositional balance presented here with the focal point in the upper left corner.

gail bisson
02-06-2015, 07:09 AM
Hi Aidan,
I really like the comp and the teasel and the backlighting.
I am not fussy about the OOF teasel on the RHS of the frame so I would go with a vertical crop. I think you could still keep the bird in the LUC compwise,
Gail

Glenn Conlan
02-06-2015, 09:51 AM
Love it the way it is. Nice balance to the frame. Great to see this presented with a different format

Joseph Przybyla
02-06-2015, 11:14 AM
I like everything about this image except the out of focus Teasel in the lower right foreground. A different crop maybe? Thank you for sharing.

Marina Scarr
02-06-2015, 10:13 PM
I just pulled this image into PS and it is SO good as a vertical. I am finding the OOF vegetation on the right distracting from an otherwise super backlit image.

Aidan Briggs
02-07-2015, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the input everyone! You guys have convinced me on the crop, I'll have to try a vertical here.

Daniel Cadieux
02-08-2015, 02:17 PM
Had the oof ones in lower right not been there this would have been the perfect crop as is. I really love the concept of the image, well seen and executed.