PDA

View Full Version : Walking on water

Warren Spreng
02-04-2015, 05:14 PM
OK, so the pond is really frozen but just barely and this Canada Goose wanted to take a little stretch. Canon T3i Tamron SP 150-600 f/6.3 1/800 ISO 400 550mm Cloudy afternoon, increased exposure in LR, then mild sharpening on goose and NR on background in PS CC. Slight increase in saturation.

Jon Pugmire
02-04-2015, 11:52 PM
I like this a lot, a little more room in front would be nice, giving the bird a little more room to look into. I like the exposure, nice detail in the whites and blacks. Interesting pose. Well done.

Warren Spreng
02-05-2015, 08:40 AM
Thanks for the comment Jon. I added a little more canvas in front of the bird.

Jon Pugmire
02-05-2015, 12:06 PM
On 2nd look, it appears there are some artifacts from selective lightening (LR adjustment brush?) Along the edges of the bird, the background appears slightly lightened, most notable around the front of the neck, upper wing towards the front and around the tail, but noticeable in other areas also.

Warren Spreng
02-05-2015, 01:24 PM
On 2nd look, it appears there are some artifacts from selective lightening (LR adjustment brush?) Along the edges of the bird, the background appears slightly lightened, most notable around the front of the neck, upper wing towards the front and around the tail, but noticeable in other areas also.

Just noticed that, thanks for the catch, I'll work on that.

Warren Spreng
02-05-2015, 02:41 PM
So just as in Astrophotography I went back to the beginning and re-processed it, and here is the new result. Like the optometrist says, "Better, Worse, Better, Worse?" :bg3:

Diane Miller
02-05-2015, 05:56 PM
Just on my iPhone at the moment as we're on the road and my husband has my laptop tied up with a time-consuming update to the aviation GPS.

I love the pose you caught and the colors look great here. I'll get back when I can have a better look.

I prefer to go to PS for masking as I have better control

Jon Pugmire
02-05-2015, 09:29 PM
So just as in Astrophotography I went back to the beginning and re-processed it, and here is the new result. Like the optometrist says, "Better, Worse, Better, Worse?" :bg3:

Better, Diane's pretty good at identifying this for sure, so I'd wait until she weighs in, but this appears to have a blue/green cast, the whites in the tail area especially look a little off. Might try a click with the white balance selector in that area and see what it does.

Warren Spreng
02-05-2015, 09:48 PM
Better, Diane's pretty good at identifying this for sure, so I'd wait until she weighs in, but this appears to have a blue/green cast, the whites in the tail area especially look a little off. Might try a click with the white balance selector in that area and see what it does.

i see that looking on my IPad, didn't notice it on my desktop MAC. I'll check out the tint in the morning.

Warren Spreng
02-05-2015, 09:50 PM
Just on my iPhone at the moment as we're on the road and my husband has my laptop tied up with a time-consuming update to the aviation GPS.

I love the pose you caught and the colors look great here. I'll get back when I can have a better look.

I prefer to go to PS for masking as I have better control

Thanks Diane, he was in the middle of a wing stretch which didn't get to the full blown wingspread so it was tough deciding which position to go ahead and fully process!

Diane Miller
02-08-2015, 10:18 PM
I'm on the laptop now, and love the pose! The original looks very good for sharpness -- not easy for an action shot -- but the last post looks somewhat less sharp and lower in contrast, or else it's been too long a day.

Looking at the ripple, I'd give it a very slight CCW rotation so the outermost parts are on a horizontal.

Would love to see more. These things are great to practice on!

Warren Spreng
02-09-2015, 09:09 AM
I'm on the laptop now, and love the pose! The original looks very good for sharpness -- not easy for an action shot -- but the last post looks somewhat less sharp and lower in contrast, or else it's been too long a day.

Looking at the ripple, I'd give it a very slight CCW rotation so the outermost parts are on a horizontal.

Would love to see more. These things are great to practice on!

Thanks Diane, went back to the first one I had done as I agree, not sure what I did differently but I like the sharpness on the first version better. Here it is with that slight rotation you suggested as well and a very slight bump in saturation from the first one.