PDA

View Full Version : Tricolored Heron with a little fish

Raybel Robles
02-04-2015, 08:57 AM
I have done two version of this image, this one and another without the reflection. I didn't realize the reflection was as visible when taking the photos and I clip he head of the bird in the reflection. In a why it don't bother me but something it does thinking that having the full reflection would had been much better. What you guys think?

Nikon D750 | 300mm f2.8 w/ 2x TC | 1/1000s | f/8 | Auto ISO 720

Stu Bowie
02-04-2015, 02:11 PM
Hi Raybel, firstly, lovely light in this, and love the fishing pose showing off his tiny catch. The plumage looks good, and I like the blues of the disturbed water. When it comes to reflections, a very clear reflection is always a winner, but in this, having cut off the head, it doesnt work to show the reflection as posted. I would come up from the bottom to just below the blue of the water. This would have worked, even though not a clear reflection, if you had included all of the reflection. When I see potential reflections in my frames, and its not fitting in the frame, I shoot vertically to hopefully include everything. :w3 In this, you could have taken off your 2X TC. :w3

William Dickson
02-04-2015, 02:47 PM
Hi Ray, I love the image, great lighting and colours. I agree with Stuart about the reflection. Nice painterly effect about the image due to the lighting. Good work

Raybel Robles
02-04-2015, 02:59 PM
Thank you so much for the great input guys. I had the same feeling about the reflection and I appreciate having other people views on it.

Regards
Ray

Ivan Ellison
02-04-2015, 04:52 PM
Like the colours in this, the bird does jump out , nice and sharp on the head with a great eye. I too do not always see the reflections and am working at my technique to switch focus point quickly to get more in the frame, or use the back button focus tech to move the bird quickly in the frame.

dankearl
02-04-2015, 08:07 PM
Attractive light, nice habitat, no real critique from me except I might bring out a bit more color in the heron....

Daniel Cadieux
02-05-2015, 10:46 AM
I actually don't mind the reflection too much here. Crop too much more and you cut the vitual legs or feet off. Having said this, yes, having the full reflection would have been excellent. I don't know if it's just me, but I feel the image could be darkened overall a bit (no more than 1/2 stop though). I would also tame the brighter spot directly above the heron's head. I love the IQ, pose, prey in the bill. Details look great too, well done overall.

arash_hazeghi
02-06-2015, 01:50 AM
very nice love the low angle and nice details