PDA

View Full Version : Incoming young eagle (with original)

arash_hazeghi
02-01-2015, 11:42 PM
I photographed this juvenile eagle in Vancouver area with my friend Henrik Nilson, I didn't have much light to work with but was able to pull off a few frames when the eagle flew towards us.

Shot with 1D-X and 300 f/2.8 II + 2X III. ISO 3200 (+1EV in post). f/5.6 at 1/1600sec. The AF capability of this rig in low light is nothing short of amazing. Processed with DPP 4.15

arash_hazeghi
02-01-2015, 11:46 PM
Here is the original capture. It was underexposed by a full stop because I forgot to change my exposure as light was dropping. I increased exposure by 1 stop in DPP 4.15 during RAW conversion and used a shadow setting of +2. After conversion I cloned out the OOF seagull in PS and then resized the photo for web, fine output sharpening was applied to the eagle only.

This is the original, you can also see the placement of the AF sensor.

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
02-02-2015, 12:26 AM
Very nice flight shot Arash. I like the way you have recovered the image in PP while preserving amazing detail. I too am regularly using DPP 4 and am not disappointed at all. Great eye contact too.

keith mitchell
02-02-2015, 03:49 AM
Arash your picture looks great to me, I do like the fact that you have explained to us what you have done to the image, worth a lot to someone like myself so thanks for that.

Keith.

shane shacaluga
02-02-2015, 05:08 AM
Great image and even better info to back it up! Beautiful flight pose and really sharp in the head area.

Can I ask what those splashes in the water are? Looks like something took off just in front of the eagle!

arash_hazeghi
02-02-2015, 10:05 AM
Great image and even better info to back it up! Beautiful flight pose and really sharp in the head area.

Can I ask what those splashes in the water are? Looks like something took off just in front of the eagle!

the splash is from the eagle wings touching the water

best

shane shacaluga
02-02-2015, 10:10 AM
the splash is from the eagle wings touching the water

best

Interesting! I thought some poor duck had freaked out at the sight of this beast coming along!

Thanks for the info

Stu Bowie
02-02-2015, 11:18 AM
Hi Ari, great angled capture here, and your pp work on bringing up the detail is suburb. Tack sharp where it counts, and the hint of the splash from the left wing tip adds interest.

Joe Subolefsky
02-02-2015, 12:04 PM
I think the immature look cooler then the adults. This one is really cool looking because of the way you brought out the details especially on the underside. Always educational to see the before and after shots as well, seeing the AF point I am surprised at everything in focus from beak to talons they are big birds.

gail bisson
02-02-2015, 02:35 PM
Good tutorial Arash. Thanks for the before and after.
Nice low angle and flight path over the water and sharp where it counts.
I see a magenta cast in the browns and would address that. I would also clone out the little dome of ice if mine.
Gail

arash_hazeghi
02-02-2015, 02:37 PM
Thanks everyone

Gail, I don't see a cast on my calibrated screen

best

Ivan Ellison
02-02-2015, 06:18 PM
Nice explanation of your pp work. Will download DPP 4 now it is compatible with mkIV. Great image too would have struggled with my mkIV in this light.

Binu John
02-03-2015, 12:06 AM
Excellent shot, Arash! Perfect PP work as usual. Love that pose. TFS

David Salem
02-03-2015, 01:03 AM
Cool looking eagle frame Arash. Nice wing position and I really like the good look at the feet. Great salvage on the under exposure. Nice work.

Marina Scarr
02-03-2015, 09:20 AM
Killer frame and thanks for the tutorial. Agree with Gail on the ever-so-slight magenta cast on your bird's back. Don't know how the heck she sees those things!!!

Ed Kelly
02-04-2015, 08:14 AM
Great POV. Like the look of the feet also. Agree with cloning out the one ice peak.

Ed

annmpacheco
02-17-2015, 09:42 AM
Killer image! I follow your workflow up till " fine output sharpening was applied to the eagle only." What does that mean? did you sharpen in DPP then again in PS? How do I isolate just the bird and then what method of detail enhancement do I use? thanks, Ann
BTW your DPP guide has been very helpful with great results. thank you again.