PDA

View Full Version : Late evening Lima bird

shane shacaluga
01-31-2015, 02:49 PM
On one of my last days in Lima, walking down the seafront I saw a few of these birds on a patch of lawn. They were eating bits of bread being thrown at them by some locals.

I positioned myself to not get any distracting features in the BG and rested the lens on a concrete wall level with the grass. It was very dark so really pushed the SS with this non VR lens

D800e
300f4 + 1.7x TC
f6.7
1/50
ISO 3200

Cropped a sliver off the top. Selectively darkened a few bright areas in the BG and sharpened the bird. Cloned out a few blades of grass which intersected the tail feathers

Not a clue what the species is so if anyone can ID it would be great

Thanks for your comments

William Dickson
01-31-2015, 02:58 PM
Beautiful looking bird Shane. I like the colours and the sharpness. The frame looks to have a wee bit too much purple around it, maybe if you gave the bird more 'breathing space' I think it would be better. Nice low POV

keith mitchell
01-31-2015, 04:23 PM
Shane bird looks very good, that b/g is certainly different, think I might tone it down a little, but that is a personal thing.

Keith.

John Robinson
01-31-2015, 05:19 PM
Hi Shane
I agree with Will.
It does seem a little"tight" in the frame.
Nice looking bird though
John

Bill McDonald
01-31-2015, 05:34 PM
Nice image ...
I believe this species to be Long-tailed Mockingbird

Stu Bowie
02-01-2015, 01:19 AM
Hi Shane, excellent low angle, and you have brought out the detail very well considering your slow ss. I like the two tone BG. Comp wise, having a bit more room below for the virtual feet would have been first prize, and although I dont know this bird, I feel there is a magenta cast on it.

shane shacaluga
02-02-2015, 03:53 AM
Thanks a lot for your comments

The sunset sky was quite purple if I remember correctly but I am all for trying to correct this. Is there a sure fire way to neutralise the cast?

Regards