PDA

View Full Version : South Western Australia...

Don Railton
01-28-2015, 08:13 AM
Hi Guys

I visited the south west coast of Australia last weekend. This coast features wonderful granite outcrops and beautiful beaches, albeit exposed to the ravages of the Great Southern Ocean. I took a few hours off to photograph a little of this coast. Not sure if it appeals to anyone but that's why its here.. so, feel free to tear it to pieces if you like..

Canon 1D4 & 24 to 70 series 1 @ 45mm, Hand held.
1/200 @ F16, ISO 160
Cropped from top and bottom to a 4:3 ratio

imported & processed using ACR setting levels and then some sharpening applied using the NIK output sharpener in CS6.

DON

Tobie Schalkwyk
01-28-2015, 08:51 AM
Nothing to tear to pieces as the section you've captured is beautiful Don. My eyes are screaming for more detail on the right though, so a wider (even composite) panoramic shot would have added just that extra oomph! :S3:

Dave Mills
01-28-2015, 05:30 PM
Nice comp but wished for better lighting...

Don Railton
01-28-2015, 06:41 PM
Hi Dave... Me too...It was overcast and dull, everything was flat.

Hi Toby, nothing but sea to the right, without a lot of detail. Maybe a little more sea might work for some (maybe enough to give the white waves on RH border a little room) but too much would dilute the rock IMHO. I appreciate your input.

DON

dankearl
01-28-2015, 07:16 PM
Better light......
If I spent more than about 30 seconds I could have made this even better.
Just lightening and adding vibrance to different areas.
You can also now post 1000 vertical.
I think you can bring out even more to the sky and the cliffs.
I was working only with the compressed file, I know what I could to with the full RAW.......
_D4_9878 -2.jpg (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=148911&stc=1&d=1422490564)

Don Railton
01-28-2015, 10:58 PM
Thanks for the effort Dan. I will have another crack at the tif tonight.. Your RP is an improvement.

Morkel Erasmus
02-02-2015, 03:09 PM
I like this view showing the granite boulderline, Don. Dan's repost really has lifted this - albeit also enhancing the halos along the ridge which were present in your OP already.
I look forward to your repost and perhaps some more of your vision of this coastline?

Don Lacy
02-08-2015, 10:55 PM
Really strong comp here Don did you ever redo it.

Don Railton
02-09-2015, 03:56 AM
Thanks Morkel & Don. I have been working (a bit harder) on others from the same day so no I haven't yet got back to this one...yet. My daughters has also just got engaged and planning a wedding soon so I can see a lot of my 'spare' time disappearing in assisting her...

DON

Andrew McLachlan
02-09-2015, 06:23 PM
Hi Don, very nicely composed scene here. Better lighting would have been nice, but you did well with what you had at the time. Dan's repost does work in many ways for the enhancements done. Have you considered trying a B&W conversion...sometimes I will do that when the lighting has been less than cooperative :S3: