PDA

View Full Version : Whats in here Nuthatch

christopher galeski
01-28-2015, 06:24 AM
Taken the other day,the bird landed on a rotten old tree stump ,which is hollow and looked inside,had to be quick,they don't hang about long these birds.cannon 500mm L,IS,F4,EX1/4,FL 700MM,cropped,sharpened for web,1/320S,F5.6,ISO500,TRIPOD.

Randy Stout
01-28-2015, 08:07 AM
Chris:

Soft light with rich colors, shallow DOF, interesting pose.

The bird is a little soft, possibly from a bit of motion blur. I might have tried to push up the ISO a bit to give yourself a little more shutter speed flexibility.

Cheers

Randy

christopher galeski
01-28-2015, 08:25 AM
Thanks for looking and comments Randy,on my computer screen its tack sharp,apart from were the breast feathers cross over the foot and on the wing shoulder,the rest is sharp,there is something happens to the sharpness when I upload.thanks again.

Randy Stout
01-28-2015, 09:01 AM
Chris:

Do you normally do a sharpening after you resize the image for web posting?

Randy

Bill Dix
01-28-2015, 09:29 AM
Love the pose and the colors. On my screen the bird looks pretty sharp in some areas, less so elsewhere such as the wing coverts and breast feathers. Maybe it's the shallow DOF? In any case perhaps a little hit with the selective sharpening tool and/or some selective Topaz Detail or NIK DE might help?

John Robinson
01-28-2015, 11:56 AM
Yes it looks like classic ("shoulder flick !!) I took dozens of these today and strangely had a similar problem with 90% of them !
As mentioned though you should be able to bring a bit out.
Cheers
John

Daniel Cadieux
01-28-2015, 11:59 AM
Very nice. I like the claws' placements on the stump. Neat "peeking down" pose. I like the perch, BG, colours. The image looks properly focused, it just seems to need a touch of after-resizing sharpening.

keith mitchell
01-28-2015, 01:34 PM
Chris better eyes than mine have looked at this but it does look a tad soft to me, sounds like you have had advice on that, like the pose and the b/g.

Cheers Keith.

William Dickson
01-28-2015, 03:14 PM
Got to agree with Keith here the bird does look a wee bit soft. Fab looking bird and pose though. I also like the way the bird is perched.

dankearl
01-28-2015, 07:49 PM
Terrific Warm light and color.
Agree on sharpness, but doesn't look OOF.
Just looks like a PP and posting issue.

christopher galeski
01-28-2015, 11:52 PM
Thanks for looking and your comments,Randy,I don't sharpen after resize for posting,Bill,I think in the original image,there is some DOF problems,I was a bit close.Thanks again.

christopher galeski
01-29-2015, 01:12 AM
I have had ago at sharpening for the web,it is just a test.it looks better,maybe a tad over sharpened,when I resized it for the web,I sharpened it a bit more.

keith mitchell
01-29-2015, 07:34 AM
Chris don't no if my eyes are good enough to judge this but the image overall looks sharper, maybe a tad to sharp in some places, but I do have a bit of a thing about harsh looking feathers, just my view of course and still like the overall image.

Keith.