PDA

View Full Version : Handsome Kestrel.

Satish Ranadive
01-27-2015, 10:40 AM
Image was created in the last week. Basic editing, cropped for composition and NR applied to BG.
Perched cleaned.

ISO :200, 1/1000,@5.6.Manual.Spot metering, 550D,100-400.

Thanks for viewing ,appreciation, comments and critiques.
Kind Regards.
Satish.

Steve Kaluski
01-27-2015, 10:49 AM
Hi Satish, nice clean shot with good detail. Having the 'perch' far enough away has helped the BKG, but surprised you need NR at ISO200? Overall it looks a bit warm, pegging back the warmth, i.e. going cooler I think helps.

TFS
Steve

John Robinson
01-27-2015, 11:20 AM
Grand little Male in top condition Ratish, I like the perch and mottled backdrop. Any chance of a little more canvas on the right ? Maybe a sliver off the top and left but no big deal Beak colour just right.
Cheers
John

Jonathan Ashton
01-27-2015, 11:45 AM
Lovely shot the more I look the more I see what Steve is referring to maybe a tiny bit cooler and just the tiniest more contrast on the kestrel.

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
01-27-2015, 11:58 AM
Gorgeous image of this Kestrel! I like the comp, the pose and eye contact. Nice BG too. I agree with Steve reg colour. Well done Satish!

Stu Bowie
01-27-2015, 01:22 PM
Hi Satish, lovely pose from the Kestrel, and the light looks good. I like the feather detail and colours, great view of the feet and talons, and I feel that your BG is fine.

keith mitchell
01-27-2015, 01:36 PM
Satish minor nits covered, looks true and natural don't think I would alter it very much, very nice piece of work.

Keith.

William Dickson
01-27-2015, 01:38 PM
Very nice image of a kestrel Satish I like the comp, the HA and the POV. I aslo like the position of the talons. Thanks for sharing

gail bisson
01-27-2015, 07:30 PM
Very nice Satish.
I like the perch and the BG.
Maybe a touch more contrast or selectively increasing the blacks?
Gail

Satish Ranadive
01-27-2015, 09:02 PM
Thank you all for your feed back. I appreciate it.
Here is the image with selectively increased blacks and bit contrast, and cooler.

Satish.

Satish Ranadive
01-27-2015, 09:06 PM
Hi Satish, nice clean shot with good detail. Having the 'perch' far enough away has helped the BKG, but surprised you need NR at ISO200? Overall it looks a bit warm, pegging back the warmth, i.e. going cooler I think helps.

TFS
Steve
Thank you so much for the comments. Though ISO was 200, when I increased clarity (in PP), I felt that it is showing indistinct noise, so decided to apply little noise reduction.
I have reduced the saturation little bit. WDYT now? looks bit better.
Regards,
Satish.

Steve Kaluski
01-28-2015, 03:18 AM
Hi Satish, for me the overall colour is even across both subject and BKG giving little definition between the two, it's also still quite saturated. In just trying to balance both the WB and the main colours Yellow, Red, Greens & Blues in the HSL I think it does start to get to your original capture, I hope. I personally rarely use Contrast, I much prefer Curves and masks and using mid tone layers to achieve the 'Tonal depth' but we all have different ways in working. If you apply Clarity, unless with a brush it's a Global change and will effect both subject & BKG giving that crunchy effect, similar to your description so you need to be selective. Depending on which version you are using and programme, Clarity in the newer versions requires a lot less in the amount applied.

Obviously working on a web image is not ideal, but hope this illustrates my points. If you are unhappy about the RP I'll get Stu to remove it.

cheers
Steve

Satish Ranadive
01-28-2015, 03:53 AM
Steve,
Thank you so much for your valuable time taken on my image. This looks marvelous.
I am not a computer man. I use PS6, and I do only basic editing.

Thank you once again.
Regards,
Satish.

John Robinson
01-28-2015, 06:22 AM
Hi Satish
I have to say that in my humble opinion your repost is the one I would go for. I have spent a fair bitof time with these birds and it looks about right to me. But we all have our individual preferences regarding colour anyway.
Cheers
John

Bill Dix
01-28-2015, 09:45 AM
A lovely capture, Satish. Great pose and bg, and I like the comp just as it is. Personally, I also like the warmth of the OP, although I also like the slight increase in contrast in your RP. Steve's looks unappealingly cool to my eye, but I don't know which is more true to the bird's real coloration.

Geoffrey Montagu
01-28-2015, 01:32 PM
Beautiful bird and gorgeous capture, Satish. I also happen to like the warmth of the OP. Would not alter a thing IMO.

Geoffrey

Sidharth Kodikal
01-28-2015, 09:11 PM
Awesome look at this gorgeous bird. Killer look at those claws. I much prefer the OP - Steve's repost is too cool to my eyes. Well done Satish.

Satish Ranadive
01-28-2015, 11:11 PM
A lovely capture, Satish. Great pose and bg, and I like the comp just as it is. Personally, I also like the warmth of the OP, although I also like the slight increase in contrast in your RP. Steve's looks unappealingly cool to my eye, but I don't know which is more true to the bird's real coloration.

Thank you very much for the feed back, Bill Sir.
Color of the kestrel vary depending up on the intensity of the light...whether taken in the early morning or late after noon light.
Besides that it is very difficult to spot while perched on the ground having almost same colors. Original colors are perfect in #1o. In original colors are as captured.

Regards,
Satish.

Satish Ranadive
01-28-2015, 11:12 PM
Thank you all once again for your comments and critiques.I appreciate them.

Regards,
Satish.