PDA

View Full Version : Jabiru in flight

William Nguyen-Phuoc
05-27-2008, 09:15 AM
Hi all,

I've been targetting this species for a long time and have missed many opportunities. However, last weekend I battled through the bush and the intense heat of the day to capture this magnificent bird in flight. The bird circled for about 15 seconds then flew off into the distance. Locally in Australia they're called Jabiru but they're also known as the Black-necked Stork (Ephippiorhynchus asiaticus).

40D, 100-400L, 1/2500, f5.6, ISO400, AV mode, -1 1/3 EC
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3049/2528306734_032de71c17_o.jpg

Thanks
William

Edit: re-done the original to horizontal as suggested :)

Bob Malbon
05-27-2008, 09:34 AM
William, Great capture! Hard work it sounds but the pay off is yours. For my eyes the comp needs more sky for the magnificent bird to fly to. Bob

Axel Hildebrandt
05-27-2008, 09:37 AM
I don't think I've seen this species before, thanks for sharing! I like the pose and light shining through the white feathers. I would go for a horizontal crop and give it more space, especially in front of the bird.

Blake Shadle
05-27-2008, 09:49 AM
Hey, Will!! It's good to see you on BPN! Thanks for posting this! I love the look of the spread wing tips... It looks like you were working under some difficult lighting circumstances, and I think you did very well considering. I agree with Axel, I think a horizontal would look very nice.

William Nguyen-Phuoc
05-27-2008, 10:03 AM
Hey, Will!! It's good to see you on BPN! Thanks for posting this! I love the look of the spread wing tips... It looks like you were working under some difficult lighting circumstances, and I think you did very well considering. I agree with Axel, I think a horizontal would look very nice.

Hi Blake,

Thanks! you're one of my regularly visited contacts on flickr :)

I've uploaded the re-done version, definitely looks better imo, thanks for the positive c/c ALL.

Cheers
William

Blake Shadle
05-27-2008, 10:06 AM
Hi Blake,

Thanks! you're one of my regularly visited contacts on flickr :)

I've uploaded the re-done version, definitely looks better imo, thanks for the positive c/c ALL.

Cheers
William

Why thank you sir ;) I try to keep up with your work as much as possible... you seem to be quite the fisherman :) I like the repost a lot.

Arthur Morris
05-27-2008, 10:30 AM
Quite an outstanding image! Big time welcome. I love the full spread and the back light. Even the repost could use a tad more room above the bird. On a second look: stunning!

William Nguyen-Phuoc
05-27-2008, 10:42 AM
Quite an outstanding image! Big time welcome. I love the full spread and the back light. Even the repost could use a tad more room above the bird. On a second look: stunning!

Thanks so much Artie, that's a huge compliment coming from you. You're right, a little more room above will do nicely.

Gus Cobos
05-27-2008, 10:56 AM
Great capture and composition, exposure is dead on. Like the details on the open wings, very sharp...congrats...:cool:

Daniel Cadieux
05-27-2008, 10:58 AM
Nothing much I can add here, but great flight image of this beauty. Love the light shining through the primaries :-)

Robert Amoruso
05-27-2008, 11:48 AM
An impressive looking bird and image. You did well with the high-contrast light. The backlit wings make the image.

Judy Lynn Malloch
05-27-2008, 11:52 AM
Beautiful flight pose with the outstrectched wings and excellent detail. Looks a great deal like the Jabiru stork we saw in the Pantanal, Brazil.. Love this and thanks for sharing William and welcome to BPN.

William Nguyen-Phuoc
05-27-2008, 09:38 PM
Thank you all for the advice and compliments, that's the reason I joined up to this great forum :)