PDA

View Full Version : View from Behind

Tim Harding
01-25-2015, 08:42 PM
Is it possible to have a good image with no face/eye contact? I would normally send this to the bin, but people seem drawn to it.

Canon 7D MK II 500mm I
1/2000 @ f/6.3 ISO 800

Reduced colour temp in LR to 4620. NR on BG and USM on bird in CS6.

Warren Spreng
01-25-2015, 09:37 PM
It's a beautiful shot with the bird contrasting with the background and there is a feeling of power from the owl. I can see why people are drawn to it.

Moe Ali
01-26-2015, 01:50 PM
I really like this shot. The color contrasting is so striking, and you get an appreciation of the owl's beautiful plumage. I'm glad you kept this image, I don't think you need the eye contact. The elements balance out nicely to my eyes. The goldish hue in the owl ties in nicely with the surroundings. Beauty!

Greg Payne
01-26-2015, 10:53 PM
I like it. I wish the background tree was a little more out of focus. But that's minor for me. Really nice contrast. I'd keep it.

Tobie Schalkwyk
01-27-2015, 05:22 AM
Obviously eye contact would be an added bonus for any BIF, Tim. The problem here is that it's impossible to get this beautiful feather display as well as eye contact - can't ask for a clearer demo of this bird's feathers! well done on a very nice shot! :5

Diane Miller
01-27-2015, 06:14 PM
This is just gorgeous!! Don't get pulled into the "ideal pose" thing. This is about the wings and topside detail!

I love the composition and BG. What would you think about burning down the posts just a little? I love their inclusion and placement, with the bit of a horizon from the grasses, but they compete with the gorgeous bird a little.

Tim Harding
01-27-2015, 09:48 PM

Darkened the posts a bit. Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions. I guess this one's a keeper.

Diane Miller
01-28-2015, 10:52 AM
It definitely is! I like the posts darker but they became too saturated -- I'd reduce that a bit. How did you darken them? Here I painted a mask in Quick Mask mode (doesn't have to be terribly precise) and converted it to a selection and made a Hue-Sat adjustment layer. That layer automatically turned the selection into a mask and I just lowered saturation on the master channel. A Curve would give more control, through. It's a delicate balance to get it just right and this is a quick-and-dirty.

BTW -- you didn't tag a profile, although it arrears you did convert to sRGB. See my post in Warren Spreng's dove.

Tim Harding
01-28-2015, 04:08 PM
I used an overlay layer filled with 50% gray and then painted in the darkening with a black brush. I like your treatment better though. Thanks!

Diane Miller
01-28-2015, 04:15 PM
The Overlay method for "dodging and burning" is really old and just doesn't give enough control. There are better methods now, although you will still see it espoused -- probably because it's easier to "teach" than subtleties. That's the case for many things in Photoshop.

Tim Harding
01-28-2015, 04:22 PM
[QUOTE=Diane Miller;1046204]The Overlay method for "dodging and burning" is really old...

Kinda like me...:)

Diane Miller
01-28-2015, 04:32 PM
Well.... Don't ask me how I know how old it is.... :S3: