PDA

View Full Version : Machu Picchu Munchkin

shane shacaluga
01-25-2015, 10:48 AM
On my recent trip to Peru, we could not miss a visit to Machu Picchu. The day before in the city of Cusco, a guy we met said he had found this cave within the Citadel and inside there was a wild chinchilla

I was not sure whether to believe him or not but while we were in there i found this crevice in one of the walls. Peered in with my torch and saw there was a bigger cavern inside. To my surprise as I walked in this cute rodent bounced about all over the place and gave me enough time to setup my camera for a few shots

D800e
50mm f1.8
f3.5
1/100
ISO 400
Onboard flash fired

Usual PP including adding a bit of contrast, darkened the pupil and selectively darkened parts of the BG

Thanks for your comments and critiques

Rachel Hollander
01-25-2015, 01:23 PM
Hi Shane - Not sure I've seen one of these posted on BPN before. Thanks for adding to the diversity of animals. Glad he stood still for you to capture the image. You definitely needed the flash in the cave. Nice detail and sharpness. If it were mine I would reduce the blues but you were there.

TFS,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
01-25-2015, 02:46 PM
A cute one and an interesting setting and story, Shane! Machu Picchu sure is one my list of places to see one day...
You handled the flash and exposure well. Rachel has a good point on the blues if applicable...

Gabriela Plesea
01-25-2015, 03:01 PM
Hello Shane!

This species is new to me as well, another lovely surprise this evening as I browse through the recent posts!

I think you have done well under the circumstances, having had only a few moments to capture this little one as he moved around. Shane, there's lots of detail here and I take it you had a sharp image to begin with, cute pose from the chinchilla and the crop works for me. I agree with Rachel about the blues though.

Hope we see more from your Peru trip, I have been dreaming of visiting Machu Picchu since childhood (I still find the place and well as its name so irresistible ...)

Kind regards,

shane shacaluga
01-25-2015, 03:28 PM
Hey guys, thanks a lot for your comments. Machu Picchu and the whole Inca civilisation and their achievements are simply awe-inpiring

This rodent is a Cuscomys oblativusan arboreal species of Chinchilla. The locals call it by a different name starting with W but cannot remember it now

Here is another edit pulling back on the blues. To be honest it was pitch black in the cave so your guess is as good as mine on what the natural look is :bg3:

Let me know if this looks better

Malcolm Benn
01-25-2015, 04:28 PM
Not exactly what one expects from a Machu Picchu thread, which is nice, something different is always good. Personally I prefer the first image, there is a bit more life to the colours and tones.

Nancy Bell
01-25-2015, 04:46 PM
Love seeing a chinchilla - sort of a mix between rodent and rabbit! I prefer the OP as the 2nd seems a bit over-flashed appearing. Great pose and good bkgd that provides habitat but not interference.

Marc Mol
01-26-2015, 06:25 AM
Another vote for your OP here Shane, to me looks a little more natural with good detail.
This brings back wonderful memories of my 6 mths in Sth America back in '93, with Cusco/Machu Picchu one of the highlights!

.......I gather after this sighting you didn't choose the guinea pig for dinner that night.:Whoa!: :bg3:

TFS

shane shacaluga
01-26-2015, 07:42 AM
.......I gather after this sighting you didn't choose the guinea pig for dinner that night.:Whoa!: :bg3:

TFS

Actually I ate quite a few those ;)

Thanks for the comments

Andreas Liedmann
01-26-2015, 09:11 AM
Hi Shane very nice to see a different species , great that you had time to set up your kit for this. Quite good flash work and i like the tones and colors as in OP , but would drop the blue/cyan selectively . Have you used curves for removing the blues in RP ? You achieved good details in OP .
You might think about moving back in sharpening as it does look a bit crunchy in parts and i think you made soft parts in the fur looking a bit harsh . And watch the blacks , all channels do look a bit plugged in the blacks :w3.

TFS Andreas

Marc Mol
01-26-2015, 09:33 AM
Actually I ate quite a few those ;)

....... and yes, excusing the old cliche, they do taste like chicken! :bg3:

Gabriela Plesea
01-26-2015, 11:09 AM
Hello again Shane,

I personally like your RP with less blues, but agree with Andreas that you should do this this selectively. Adding contrast might be one of the reasons why the blacks are chocked in places.

Maybe a good idea to go back a tad on sharpening?
Well done, glad you took the time to revisit this:5

Kind regards,

Dumay de Boulle
01-28-2015, 03:56 AM
Lovely detail and great use of the flash. I love the environment. Nicely done Shane