PDA

View Full Version : Devils Punchbowl.

dankearl
01-24-2015, 09:57 PM
A famous state park on the Oregon coast, the viewpoint is a 100 feet above this.
It is a large (200 feet wide) cauldron that is about 100 feet deep with a sea cave at the bottom where the Pacific Ocean
comes in. At high tide or storm seas, the ocean rushes in and erupts hundreds of feet in a spectacular fashion.
I am in the bottom of it at very low tide looking out through the sea cave.
Not recommended.....

Nikon D800, f22, 6 seconds, iso50, 35mm

002_2687bpn.jpg (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=148765&stc=1&d=1422154503)

Andrew McLachlan
01-25-2015, 10:31 AM
Hi Dan, this one is awesome...my all time favorite of yours so far. Great detail in the rocks and perfect shutter speed for the flowing water :cheers:. We have a waterfall up here called Devil's Punch Bowl as well, which is on the Niagara Escarpment...unfortunately it only flows well in spring.

Don Railton
01-26-2015, 11:17 PM
Hi Dan, I really like this a lot... great detail & colour in the rocks, and I like the comp too. Do you have any at other shutter settings? I might like to see a blurry rush of water comming into the scene, however that may have resulted in a blurry rush of photographer leaving the scene???

DON

Tobie Schalkwyk
01-28-2015, 08:47 AM
Nice one, Dan! Your shutter speed smoothed the water out nicely and captured nice details about the rocks. It reminds me of one or two similar spots on our coast - not for the faint of hart! :w3

Dave Mills
01-28-2015, 05:33 PM
Nice color in the rocks. Good comp with the opening a bit offset along with showing just enough rock in the foreground to give the image a base.Well handled Dan.

Morkel Erasmus
02-02-2015, 01:47 PM
This one really draws you in - great work Dan. I love the earthy tones of the rocks, juxtaposed with the cool blue "mist" of the swirling tide.
I might have liked to see a sliver more space at the bottom...?

Grady Weed
02-04-2015, 05:18 PM
Dan, I assume this one at 6 seconds was on a tripod with shutter release. If so...then this is a good example for others to see why using one is so valuable for the thinking photographer. In order to create such images we have to use the tools available to us. Nice job on clarity, colors and the soupy steaming water feel. Love it!

Don Lacy
02-08-2015, 10:59 PM
Really nice work here Dan, the comp is especially strong

Steve Smith
02-11-2015, 02:09 PM
Hi Dan,

Great shot. The long exposure time has captured the wetness of sea spray. The image displays the sheer massiveness (massivity?) of the rock formation.

Steve Smith