PDA

View Full Version : The Skies have it!

Terry Johnson
01-24-2015, 06:28 PM

Hello, Oregon Coast looking south towards Newport, OR...Yaquina Head Lighthouse. Dramatic Skies.

Nikon D810
Nikon 24-70mm @ 24mm
F-4
1/1500
ISO-64
A-prioity
matrix metering

Your comments please...Terry Johnson:S3:

Andrew McLachlan
01-25-2015, 10:28 AM
Hi Terry, overall an nice ocean vista. I would prefer this scene without the house/condos in the lower left. The breaking waves have a blue/cyan cast to my eyes - easy fix - and I think if you use Nik's Detail Extractor on the cloud formations this image would have more impact.

Terry Johnson
01-26-2015, 12:13 AM

Andrew, I downloaded thw NIK sftware, here is the replacement NIK image. Thanks for your input, The NIK filter did a Nice job. The replacement NIK image does not show the subtleties of the full image.

Thanks again...Terry Johnson:S3:

Don Railton
01-26-2015, 11:11 PM
Hi Terry

I feel the FG is a bit too dark in the op and while the detail extractor has extracted detail in the trees and the houses in the RP, I still find everything below the horizon lacking good light which would make this image sooo much stronger IMHO. You still have the blue rinse in the waves, i think they should be a lot whiter. Its a good candidate for a Grad ND filter i think.

DON

Terry Johnson
01-27-2015, 10:56 PM

Hello, I have revised the forground by raising the exposure and removing the blue cast to the water...Terry

Morkel Erasmus
02-02-2015, 02:59 PM
Hey Terry. Your first respost is best for my eyes tonally and exposure wise.
I like the scene, but wish that you had included just a little bit more of the land in the lower LHS corner, to me it feels that that would have anchored the frame a bit more with all the open space on the RHS...make sense?
Perhaps moving the composition a sliver to the LHS would have done the trick in that regard?