PDA

View Full Version : Before and After

Alfred Forns
01-07-2008, 12:49 AM
We had a suggestion from Ed Vatza to have a before and after image with some information on the process This is the first try This will be posted on two post We might have them later on one side by side Not sure

The image in the first post is the RAW as it came out of the camera The only work has been changing to the proper color space (sRGB) and resize for posting to 800 pixels
Next will be the worked image

Alfred Forns
01-07-2008, 12:54 AM
This is the after The image has been cropped Used levels and curves Adjusted the neutral channel with black and sharpen All very slight Time to start to finish Maybe two minutes

Canon 1DMK2n
180 macro
f 8.0 1/500sec
ISO 400
Av 0

Gus Hallgren
01-07-2008, 01:37 AM
Hi Al,

You certainly performed magic in your Before & after,
I have a question about color space ~ you said, "changing to the proper color space (sRGB)" Is your camera set to "Adobe" and do you use "Adobe" when printing? . . . . . Gus

Ed Vatza
01-07-2008, 06:18 AM
First of all thanks for making this happen. I think it will be very helpful to see the Before & After images of several different kinds of subjects.

I can see that you filled the frame very well on this macro image. If my eyes don't deceive me, you did just a slight bit of cropping on the left. The PP certainly boosted the image nicely.

I think the language trips me up on occasion. I use levels and curves in PS or their equivalent in Lightroom. And of course, I use USM. When you say "adjusted the neutral channel with black" where did you do that?

Going forward, it would be great to see large birds such as herons and small birds like a Warbler or Sparrow, for example.

Again thank you for agreeing to undertake this effort.

Sue Palmer
01-07-2008, 09:50 AM
Ed, what a grand suggestion, the before and after, plus how the after was obtained will be a grand learning opportunity for me and I presume many others. Sue

First of all thanks for making this happen. I think it will be very helpful to see the Before & After images of several different kinds of subjects.

I can see that you filled the frame very well on this macro image. If my eyes don't deceive me, you did just a slight bit of cropping on the left. The PP certainly boosted the image nicely.

I think the language trips me up on occasion. I use levels and curves in PS or their equivalent in Lightroom. And of course, I use USM. When you say "adjusted the neutral channel with black" where did you do that?

Going forward, it would be great to see large birds such as herons and small birds like a Warbler or Sparrow, for example.

Again thank you for agreeing to undertake this effort.

Alfred Forns
01-07-2008, 09:54 AM
Hi Ed We are working on the set up now James the "CSO" is working as we speak It is a great idea and big thanks for the suggestion We will be getting different examples and can be from birds, landscape, wildlife etc

Go to image > Adjust > Selective color A Box will appear At the top drop down to neutral and add a couple of points to the black Do the same for black channel Just a couple of points

When I am using levels Normally I move the mid slider slightly to have the image a tad lighter now with the selective color you punch it up a little At times I use curves and it is just a tad

btw not to make a sales pitch but all of this is in the CD that Artie has Digital Basics You basically follow step by step for a couple of images Before you know it is second nature The CD is very easy to follow and made for photographers