PDA

View Full Version : It's feeding time, AGAIN...

Steve Kaluski
01-24-2015, 08:34 AM
Having seen Keith's recent image I thought I would add another one into the mix. This old fence that was decaying and had seen better days was providing a good source of food, bugs & beetles to help feed the ever demanding young. Just too close on either side, needed more room :Whoa!: but that's the issue with a fixed lens, however in all honesty I wasn't quite expecting this.

Thanks for either viewing or commenting on the previous image.

Steve

Subject: Little owl (Athene noctua), owlet demanding feeding from parent
Camera: Canon 1Dx
Lens: 500f/4 Gitzo tripod/Uniqball head
Exposure: 1/1000s at f/5.6 ISO1600
Original format: Horizontal, full width, cropped on height & bottom

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
01-24-2015, 12:23 PM
Hi Steve. Awesome interaction and behaviour. I love the open beak and wing spread of the owl. Only wish the other one was facing a bit more towards us, but that's a very tiny nit. Love the image a lot. Colours and sharpness are spot on.

Rachel Hollander
01-24-2015, 12:25 PM
Hi Steve - great timing to capture the open mouth, begging pose. Colors and details look great. I agree with your self-assessment that just a little more room on either side would be good but by no means a deal breaker for me.

TFS,
Rachel

William Dickson
01-24-2015, 12:48 PM
Lovely image Steve. I love the interaction between them, the expression on the face is priceless :S3: Very nice

Mike Poole
01-24-2015, 12:58 PM
Great timing Steve, the crop works on this occasion as it's all about the action.

However, after coming home frozen from my 2nd little owl no show of the week - not a subject I wanted to see posted! :t3

Steve Kaluski
01-24-2015, 01:08 PM
Hi Sanjeev agree, but this is just from a sequence of shots (frames) and a split second to react too, but the 1Dx is just so good for this, especially with variable light conditions.

Steve Kaluski
01-24-2015, 01:09 PM
Cheers, William, hope you are not too frozen up there, but some good 'atmospheric' scenes I hope?

Steve Kaluski
01-24-2015, 01:13 PM
Mike this was from last year so don't get disheartened, they had another three offspring of which two survived, this is No1, the biggest and most demanding. Have left them a lone for the last 6 months as I don't want them to become accustomed to humans, I want them to retain their wild instincts and fend for themselves. Who knows what this year will bring. :S3:

keith mitchell
01-24-2015, 01:45 PM
Steve great natural pose,IQ up to your usual high standards,like this.

Keith.

Steve Canuel
01-24-2015, 02:51 PM
I like the curve of the open wing, sort of leads right to that gaping mouth. Also like the overall color of this one.

Loi Nguyen
01-24-2015, 06:48 PM
Steve, glad to find you posting here. Love your owl series and this is lovely. The close up open beak and begging made this image. Only wish to have more room left and right. Loi

David Salem
01-25-2015, 12:42 AM
Great looking feeding image Steve. The open beak and the flared wings give this one allot to look at. Hope they have a good rearing this spring. Well captured

Steve Kaluski
01-25-2015, 04:26 AM
Thanks Steve, Loi & David, David I wished I had your light. :S3:

Stu Bowie
01-25-2015, 09:59 AM
Hi Steve, I eventually get around to your images, even though a little late. :w3 Great interaction between the two, and well timed to get the open beak, raised foot and wing of the youngster. The eye level capture works well, and great that you didnt cut anything off due to being full frame. Nice clean BG.

Satish Ranadive
01-26-2015, 02:40 AM
Excellent moment captured.

Regards,
Satish.