PDA

View Full Version : Elephant Grazing on Bank in Sepia - Chobe

Douglas Bolt
01-23-2015, 09:52 AM
Canon 7D1, 70-200@200, f7.1, 1/1250s, ISO400, HH from boat. PP: PSCC-NIK-SEP (wet rocks with sepia tone), no sharpening, Dfine.
What an experience to watch a herd of elephants cross the river and immediately start eating even before they got out of the water.

Steve Canuel
01-23-2015, 02:10 PM
Interesting look to the processing on this one. The water looks like some kind of molten metal and the ele's got coated with it during the crossing. The merge of the three may be an issue for some as well as the visible trunk under the main one.

Anette Mossbacher
01-23-2015, 03:24 PM
Hi Douglas,

sepia here or there, for me it does not fit. This is just me, we will see what the others say.
Details are good, just the whole image looks somehow like metal already mentioned above!

Have a great weekend

Ciao Anette

Rachel Hollander
01-23-2015, 04:18 PM
Hi Douglas - sorry, this one isn't working for me. The elephants are angled away with only the rear end of the smaller ones showing. The sepia toning is too strong for my taste and I think the entire image is oversharpened or way too much define was used. There's a strong halo around the main subject. Sorry, just my thoughts. In the end it only really matters is if you like it.

TFS,
Rachel

Dumay de Boulle
01-24-2015, 09:21 AM
Love the textures and he contrast. I do feel the partial Ellies' behind the main subject are not ideal, but the animals rarely play ball. I would probably rather try B&W. thanks Douglas!

Morkel Erasmus
01-25-2015, 02:26 PM
It's a special experience indeed, Doug! I see where you were going but for me personally it's also overcooked (I agree with Rachel's assessment above).
I also agree that it really only matters if you like it in the end - that's why we all shoot primarily - for ourselves, our own enjoyment, our own expressive style :bg3:.
I am eager to see some more of your Chobe stuff in time!