PDA

View Full Version : Theme Red-winged Starling takeoff

Tobie Schalkwyk
01-23-2015, 06:47 AM
This guy caught me a little off-guard as it took off just as I released the shutter. At first I believed it was a total failure but in hindsight it was advantageous as it exposed its beautiful wing colors which only shows a red line on its wing in a resting position. It was taken from inside the house with an ugly concrete pillar to the left, therefore the tight crop.

All C&C's welcome.

A little sharpening & eye lit up a bit in LR.

Nikon D600
AF-S Nikon 300mm f/4 ED-IF + TC14E II
f/8 | 1/2500s | 500 ISO | Handheld

Randy Stout
01-23-2015, 08:47 AM
Tobie:

Wonderful take off pose, display of red/orange on wings.

Wish the light angle had been a bit more over your right shoulder to give better illumination to the body and tail. I think the sun angle tends to be even more important for dark birds, as they need some light to help show much detail.

The crop does give the image a bit of a static feel, as do the strong vertical lines, but it sounds like you had not choice.

Cheers

Randy

Stu Bowie
01-23-2015, 09:40 AM
Hi Tobie, great extended wing position, and I like how you have captured the moment of the feet just about to lift off the perch. Yep, sometimes we have to crop tighter to suit an undesirable BG.

Bill Dix
01-23-2015, 09:44 AM
Great take-off moment, and I love the red wings. The sun wasn't your friend on this one, and the head seems a little soft or motion-blurred.

Daniel Cadieux
01-23-2015, 09:57 AM
Impressive wings with those orange primaries. Good exposure on the subject, but that meant that the bright sunlit perch got blown. I agree the head is soft from subject movement (notice how sharp the feet are in comparison). Your reflexes were good it getting the fast take off!

arash_hazeghi
01-24-2015, 01:45 PM
very nice take off. the BG isn't ideal here and the harsh light didn't help you either, as mentioned the head shows motion blur

TFS