PDA

View Full Version : Snowy Owl Takes Off

Loi Nguyen
01-22-2015, 11:26 PM
I was fortunate to be in Ottawa on a rare cloudless sunny day this past Tuesday with Daniel taking image of snowy owls with my new toy.

1DX
100-400 f4/5,6 II
1/4000
f7.1
ISO-800
HH

Owl was attracted with food.

Late afternoon.

Slightly rotated, otherwise FF

Thank you for your comments.

Loi

Raybel Robles
01-22-2015, 11:40 PM
Really like the head on view. The Owl is sharp and with nice details. I would clone out the post if it was mines. I feel that it drags my eyes to it.

Really nice image. Well done!

arash_hazeghi
01-23-2015, 12:09 AM
I like the incoming pose, sharp. it's a bit dark as posted and I would get rid of the post on the left

TFS

Loi Nguyen
01-23-2015, 01:39 AM
Thank you Raybel and Arash. I knew the post is a bit of a problem, but didn't want to clone it. let me try to crop a little tighter. I see now the as posted image darker than what I see in PS. Not sure why. I had darkened the BG a little bit with Levels, now put it back to original position. Also I set white point now at 245. Let give it another go.

the IQ of the 100-400 Mrk II is really fantastic, beyond my expectation. I also got a chance to put Arash's BIF Guide to work this time and I was very pleased with the outcome, so thank you Arash!

Loi

keith mitchell
01-23-2015, 03:15 AM
Loi this repost looks great to me, the exposure on the whites is excellent, sure wish it was mine.

Keith.

John Robinson
01-23-2015, 04:21 AM
Much better!
John

Satish Ranadive
01-23-2015, 06:35 AM
Magnificent incoming flight shot. Very nice wing position and fanned tail feathers. Beautiful colors and superb details.
Love the way (I bet) he is looking at you.

Regards,
Satish.

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
01-23-2015, 07:45 AM
Loi. Awesome snowy on flight image. The IQ is really amazing. Great light as well. The RP is much better. I am glad you are enjoying your lens.

Stu Bowie
01-23-2015, 10:06 AM
Hi Loi, great take off pose, and love the show of the powerful wings. Great eye contact from those colourful eyes, and repost has turned out well.

Bill Dix
01-23-2015, 10:18 AM
Wonderful take-off shot with in-your-face look. If you are averse to cloning, the repost is a big improvement. I'd personally keep the looser crop of the OP and clone out the post, but that's personal preference.

Daniel Cadieux
01-23-2015, 10:26 AM
Oh yes I love the pose here. The post-less repost is an improvement. Love the eyes...we had great light that afternoon. The new lens looks like a winner for sure.

Mike Poole
01-24-2015, 06:05 AM
Must be fantastic to have these subjects, especially when you get that kind of light to work with. Top flight pose, really 'in your face'

shane shacaluga
01-24-2015, 08:07 AM
Agree with everyone regarding the RP. Lovely shot Loi

Steve Kaluski
01-24-2015, 10:50 AM
Hi Loi, gorgeous, timing looks spot on with nice detail, sharpness & clarity, great to have good light, makes all the difference. The new lens looks like a great addition. RP rocks, I would just try pegging back the Tint slider to say -15 (personal taste), just brings a nice cleanness to the whites without detracting from the overall colour palette I think?

TFS
Steve :cheers:

Rachel Hollander
01-24-2015, 11:46 AM
Hi Loi - Beautiful take off pose with nice warmth and details. RP is an improvement but there's still a very small bit of the post creeping in on the left edge. I've got the same new toy but haven't had a chance to play with it yet.

TFS,
Rachel

David Salem
01-25-2015, 12:29 AM
Great looking frame Loi. I really like the pose and the good look at the eyes on this sunny day. Details and exposure are perfect and I much prefer the RP with the post removed. Are you opposed to cloning or just not that good at it? I'm sure I have heard you mention cloning in some of your comments? Your best snowy frame to date IMO.

Loi Nguyen
01-25-2015, 05:30 AM
Thank you everyone for your comments.

David, I can certainly clone out the post, but in general I tend to avoid cloning.