PDA

View Full Version : Patiently waiting

Steve Kaluski
01-21-2015, 08:15 AM
Thought I might post an old image that perhaps started both Rachel & Anette to ponder in visiting this location, plus you can never have enough bears, LOL. Shot from on deck, this curious fellow just sat for over an hour, curious by the new smells and sounds coming from the ship. This angle does not portray the true size of these guys, only those who have seen a PB sadly can appreciate the awesome stature they have. I may post a few more later, as PP has come a long way since shooting this.

Thanks for either viewing or commenting on the previous image.

Steve

Subject: Polar bear (Ursus maritimus), sitting down, patiently waiting
Camera: Canon MKIV
Lens: 70-200f/2.8 HH
Exposure: 1/320s at f/5.6 ISO1000
Original format: Vertical, full width, cropped on height

Rachel Hollander
01-21-2015, 08:33 AM
Hi Steve - Such a stern look he seems to be giving you. Nice details as usual and I sort of like the pov of taking this one from above. It lets us see all the bearprints in the snow around him. Interesting to see all the variations in colors of these guys. He looks a little more red than the ones I saw which tended more to cream or yellow. Btw you got away with a slow ss here from the boat.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
01-21-2015, 08:50 AM
Btw you got away with a slow ss here from the boat.

Small ship and stationary Rachel, plus controlled breathing LOL. :bg3: Bears are so different, look at yours, Anette's & Sid's.

Rachel Hollander
01-21-2015, 08:56 AM
The ship I was on was the same size but due to the current and the idling motor, it was recommended that we always keep our ss above 1/1600 if possible. So I still think for those who go in the future that I would recommend a higher ss than you used here.

Steve Kaluski
01-21-2015, 09:09 AM
Very true, but next time I would easily have more ISO & SS, plus the kit is newer and the PP a lot better, I think? :bg3:

shane shacaluga
01-21-2015, 09:37 AM
I really like this POV. The contrast against the bright snow and all the pawmarks around the bear make it a very unique image. Nice details on the fur and those paws look like they can do some serious damage.

Question: what is the best time of year to go to Svalbaard?

Steve Kaluski
01-21-2015, 09:58 AM
Hi Shane, I guess it's a compromise in certain aspects and remember, you may not always get certain encounters, this is way more difficult than Africa. If you go around June/July it might be brighter, but the pack ice may not have totally formed, so you have other photographic opportunities and of course Landscapes. Go later say early September you have more pack ice which the bears hunt on, but it may limit your journey as you may not be able to go so far, plus do you go on a big ship or a small one? You would I guess fly direct to Oslo, change, then fly to Longyearbyen where you would have a day or two as 'buffer' days before sailing. I've been in September, but may go earlier? I think both Rachel & Anette have also been in September, but I'm sure if I'm wrong the girls will address that. :S3:

Rachel Hollander
01-21-2015, 09:59 AM
Shane - There is only a limited window for travel to Svalbard presuming you want to do one of the cruises which are during the Northern Hemisphere Summer. I think there are some articles out there that discuss the lighting differences between earlier in the season when there is pretty much 24 hours of light (June) and later in the season when there is a twilight period (September).

Rachel

Rachel Hollander
01-21-2015, 10:00 AM
It looks like Steve and I were posting at the same time. I went a little earlier than Steve and Anette. I went in August.

shane shacaluga
01-21-2015, 10:05 AM
Thanks guys. I go to Norway every 3-4months for work so want to take some time off and go fly to Longyearbyen from there

I guess I will wait until Sept. Anyone been earlier than June, say April/May?

Dumay de Boulle
01-21-2015, 12:35 PM
WOW!!! This is amazing. I love the fact he is looking up at you and the eye contact is fantastic. I really love the detail and tones in the snow as well as the tracks of the giant moving around the area. I love it!!!!:5

Steve Kaluski
01-21-2015, 12:58 PM
Cheers Dumay, taking a leaf from Rachel's book and reprocessing some stuff, although I also have a more of a 'driving' issue for this too. :w3

Gabriela Plesea
01-21-2015, 01:22 PM
This is awesome, Steve - it is what I call "money shot":w3 or "WOW"...

In this particular case the (high) POV really works - given that the subject is looking straight at you, the viewer gets a feeling the photographer was on a tall step ladder and the bear about to jump at him...Great eye contact and those paw prints in the snow suggest the subject moved around a lot before deciding to settle down and pose :)

I like the way you did the sharpening, kind of barely there and only where needed - I still have to master this skill:) In terms of colour this is (again) superb, I agree with Dumay regarding those "tones in the snow". I like the detail, especially when it comes to paws and claws:) And not to forget that velvety black nose, of course...

All in all a very special image I shall remember for a very long time-thank you Steve, and hope you have a wonderful evening.

Warmest regards,

Andreas Liedmann
01-21-2015, 01:47 PM
Hi Steve a quite cool pose and POV to the PB :5, when i was up there i would have loved to see one that close , the ones i saw .......... 300 m minimum distance as per guide !!:e3.

As presented it looks quite good from tonal aspect , but guess this is an old edit and today you might edit it different , right ? Or i am completely wrong :bg3:, could be !!!

But in the end it stays for the very cool pose .

I like this very much , need to go back . TFS Andreas

Anette Mossbacher
01-21-2015, 04:17 PM
:bg3: this is a PB with a Japanese look Steve. Love the paws and how he/she sits.
The red color Rachel mentioned comes from their blood bath when they kill a seal! This explanation is just grown out of my brain :w3
very nice details in this one :bg3:

I was in Svalbard in September.

Have a great eve, I have to use mobile hotspot to connect to the Internet in our house!!!!!!!! The swiss just cannot get it right with their wires for internet under the roads... to stingy I assume and should add this is all my opinion :t3

Ciao Anette

Morkel Erasmus
01-21-2015, 04:39 PM
I really like the POV here Steve, and that expression is priceless! :5
I am always keen on seeing more images of these guys :cheers:

Steve Kaluski
01-22-2015, 08:45 AM
Hi Gabriela, thank you so much for the reply, you really do put your heart & soul into them they are so passionate.

Andreas, old kit, new processing, things work better with new kit/new PP, BTW this was almost a whole stop off, some crazy settings indeed.

Thanks for the info Anette didn't know that, great, many thanks. :cheers:

Cheers Morkel, you should try to make some overseas plans and explore outside of SA, you would have some fun times with some awesome images to boot, too. :S3:

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
01-22-2015, 02:34 PM
Steve, this is superb. A unique POV and love that piercing look he gave you. I like the tones and comp a lot. TFS.

Charleen Ratcliff
01-23-2015, 05:58 AM
Dear Steve

Everything that I could think of saying on this image has been said! I love his fierce expression, and his position / sitting brings a smile to my face, as though he is a big cuddly teddy bear not quite positioned correctly on the bed! I also like the POV and the capture of the marks in the snow, showing his movement to get comfy!

TFS
Kind regards, Charleen

Stu Bowie
01-23-2015, 11:30 AM
Hi Steve, great eye contact, and a different perspective that really works for me. This view also shows the hugeness ( is that a word, I could have used how large :w3 ) of the paws. Lovely whites of the snow, and great seeing the different colours of the PB's coat.

Steve Canuel
01-23-2015, 02:19 PM
Beautiful subtle tones and colors in this one Steve. Looks like he's a bit angry you haven't given him a treat for sitting so nicely for you.

Steve Kaluski
01-24-2015, 08:23 AM
Cheers guys, Steve give him a 'treat', you'll never play the guitar ever again :bg3:. On a serious note, all camera straps are all removed just in case these guys have a swipe and catch the strap, then over you go!!! :Whoa!: