PDA

View Full Version : A wintery Wren

Mike Poole
01-19-2015, 03:30 PM

Todays plan was to bring you a Little owl in the snow, but a very unhelpful local cow decided to gatecrash the area and scared the owl off, so instead I decided to concentrate on a friendly wren instead. The light actually got better after this shot, but he point blank refused to perch on any of the fully snow covered areas. I'll post a later shot tomorrow for comparison and opinions

Canon 5d3
500mm f4 is and 1.4x ii
ISO 1600
1/500th, f7.1

Small area of snow cloned out of bottom right corner

Mike

Raybel Robles
01-19-2015, 04:44 PM
Very nice image, I like the chest up pose by the bird. DOF is a bit shallow but still sharp where it counts. Have you tried getting a bit more details from the snow in post? It would be nice to see a bit more on the whites.

John Robinson
01-19-2015, 04:56 PM
Hi Mike Raybel has a point and there's plenty to recover( I/ve just tried it) even with out the raw file. Bird good for these fast little fellas.
Cheers
John

gail bisson
01-19-2015, 06:22 PM
These birds are so sweet and happy and cheery! I know I am anthropomorphizing but I always feel happy when I see images of them.
Great BG and snow perch.
I agree that a bit more detail can definitely be extracted from the snow. Id you have Nik Efex plug-in you can use the Detail Extractor at 3 or 4 %.
Composition could be strengthened by taking 5% off the top and some off the RHS. You would still have lots of room for the bird to look into and it would reduce the blue area at the top of the frame.
Would have loved to have the wren a bit more parallel to the sensor to get the tail in focus but still lovely as is,
Gail

Sidharth Kodikal
01-19-2015, 08:31 PM
Agree with Gail. Rain or shine, Wrens always appear positively jubilant, and the pose you've captured shows that. Nice clean bg, love the snowy perch. Agree that a bit off the top and right wouldn't hurt. Nicely done Mike.

Mike Poole
01-20-2015, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the comments. I've tried to get more detail from the snow along with a slightly tighter crop as suggested

David Salem
01-20-2015, 11:11 AM
The re-post is an improvement and I like the overall frame. Well done