PDA

View Full Version : Theme HighKeyHyaena

Morkel Erasmus
01-18-2015, 07:01 AM
We made a trip last weekend to visit friends in the Lowveld and found time to spend two nights in Kruger National Park on the way back.

Found time to play around with this photo...exposed well in camera, but pushed in PP to just short of highlights clipping.
Surrounding is gravel road (Voortrekker road from Pretoriuskop for those who know Kruger)...in rainy weather.

Techs:
Nikon D3s
Nikkor 500mm f4 VR-II
f8.0 | 1/800 SS | ISO-1400
Close to FF

Rachel Hollander
01-18-2015, 07:56 AM
Hi Morkel - Love the walking pose and the eye contact. I wish there was more room below for the hyena to walk into and I'm sure you do too. If it were mine I would go brighter and lighter to emphasize the high key effect even more (a bit less contrast than the op too). Here's a rp along my thoughts. Just a very quick and simple curves adjustment to get there.

TFS,
Rachel

Charleen Ratcliff
01-18-2015, 08:41 AM
Dear Morkel

what an awesome shot! I love the clarity of face, and eyes, and agree with having a bit more room to walk into...but it is still a good shot!! Cool PP for the high key effects!

Kind regards,
Charleen

Anette Mossbacher
01-18-2015, 04:20 PM
Hi Morkel,

not sure with this one, this is somehow the same like my ellis pic which a tad contrast/midtone would might look much better! HK I think I need to read more about that :bg3:

Have a great eve

Ciao Anette

Dumay de Boulle
01-19-2015, 03:42 AM
Not sure on this one I'm still on the fence, I feel the IQ on you last post( Elephant Bull) and this one is very crunchy/coarse, not sure if its from the HK processing. Also I feel its too tight at the bottom. What I do like is the walking angle and crossed legs.

Charles Jorgensen
01-19-2015, 11:24 AM
Hi Morkel. I loved nearly every image of yours that I've come across and I feel I've learnt something from looking - thanks for that. This one is not nearly as sharp as most of your images that I've seen before. Is this as a result of the pp going for the high-key effect?

Andreas Liedmann
01-19-2015, 12:38 PM
Hi Morkel , nice try for a HK , but i think for a HK you should have taken this as a HK image . I am with Dumay this does look a little coarse / crunchy in the details , i guess this is coming from opening up in post even if taken with a Nikon :bg3:. The tones in the HL do look quite acceptable , but the mid tones to shadows do just look opened up .
I quite like the colors .
I would prefer also a bit more room on the foot of the frame .
As this is a nice head on shot of the Hyaena i would edit this one as a straight forward image , i think you will end up with a much more pleasing image :wave:.

TFS Andreas

Steve Kaluski
01-22-2015, 08:34 AM
Hi Morkel, I'm with Dumay on this on all points, plus I would like more space at the foot and less above, just a wee bit tight & unbalanced I feel. I like the head on walking pose, head slightly down and legs crossing over.

TFS
Steve