PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Waterfall

Andrew McLachlan
01-17-2015, 10:49 AM
In this image I am now standing at the base of the frozen Duchesnay Falls in North Bay, Ontario. In the previous two posts I was standing at the very top of the waterfall in the upper left area of this scene. In front of me is a massive amount of ice build up at the base of the falls.

Nikon D800
Sigma 15mm EX DG Fisheye Lens
ISO 50
f16 @ 1/25 sec

Look forward to comments.

Morkel Erasmus
01-18-2015, 02:17 PM
That looks mighty cold, Andrew! This African boy will keel over if he was standing there :w3...
Not knowing the scene it's hard for me to say of the midground and FG are distorted by the fisheye, they look quite natural in any event. I only really pick up the fisheye on that rightmost clump of trees.
How about increasing saturation in the greens/yellows (for the trees) by about 10 points?

Don Railton
01-18-2015, 11:13 PM
Hi Andrew. I think most Aussies will weaken at the knees in this sort of environment also... I like the snow and ice formations, and would make more of that over the sky. I see a little blue in the snow espc in lower LH corner, not sure if that has been intentional left. I would wish for more texture in the snow surface in the immediate FG, however not sure if it existed.

DON

Grady Weed
01-19-2015, 09:52 AM
Andrew, Living in the frozen NE of the USA, I understand how hard it is to even get close enough to take such an image, much less get what you did. I would however suggest you make more of the snow and ice, lose the sky and most of the tress. When I viewed it as a pano it really screamed cold, burrrr to me. I loved the browns, blacks and mid tones of the darker hues against the snowy white. TFS.

dankearl
01-24-2015, 09:44 PM
I would make this much more colorful, it seems flat to me.
i do not see any lens distortion and I think it is a nice shot, just a bit more saturation would look good.

Andrew McLachlan
01-25-2015, 10:21 AM
Thanks folks for the comments and suggestions!