PDA

View Full Version : Ring-billed Gull Portrait

Paul Pagano
05-26-2008, 09:08 PM
I did some work to try to remove the evidence of the harsh side lighting. Didn't want to go overboard though. I thought this was a beautiful gull.

Canon 40D
400 f/5.6L
Av @ f/5.6 1/2500s
ISO 320
Ev Metered +1/3 w/fill flash
Hand held

Robert O'Toole
05-26-2008, 09:19 PM
I like the bird, the sharpness and the comp but the top-side light contrast is a problem. The front of the gull is lost in the BG tones. If you lighten the front the back will blow out.

Robert

Doug Brown
05-26-2008, 09:24 PM
It's a beautiful gull alright Paul! The side lighting is tough. Some more fill flash would have helped. In PS you can dodge the bird a little. Here's a quick re-edit.

Blake Shadle
05-26-2008, 09:46 PM
Nice composition, Paul. I like the rework, Doug. Are we sure this is a ring-billed gull? Looks odd to me.

Leroy Laverman
05-26-2008, 11:29 PM
Paul - like the bird and the repost. Here's another idea for your. Maybe better in the OOB category but the low contrast (almost) high key made me think of something like the following.... high key with an Orton effect applied. Sort of like gulls in heaven :)

Maxis Gamez
05-26-2008, 11:46 PM
Hello,

Love the composition. Doug re-post looks a little un-natural to me but is in the right path. The eye detail is fantastic.

Paul Pagano
05-27-2008, 05:53 AM
Robert, this is what I ran in to. I know shooting in mid day is a no-no but the gull was too pretty. I might have moved I supposed for a better angle. This was shot when it took a break from attacking fish remnants!

Doug, I like the rework except for the bill. You did a good job of brightening w/o going too hot on the corner. The bill could just be selected and darkened I think from here...

Blake---it has a ring on it's bill! :) Could be a Herring gull but I see few here and RB's are more common so I could have assumed wrong. I'll check my book.

Leroy, definitely out of the box but I like it....

Thanks Maxis. I know better than to expect much in bright light but wanted to save the shot...

Paul Pagano
05-27-2008, 07:33 AM
Nice composition, Paul. I like the rework, Doug. Are we sure this is a ring-billed gull? Looks odd to me.

I checked and it's not a herring gull, wrong bill. What are you thinking it is Blake?

Blake Shadle
05-27-2008, 08:44 AM
Hey Paul, I'm really not sure :D The ID marks that throw me are as follows: the white bill, light orange around the eye and mouth, and maroon red in the eye...

Those marks aren't typical of a ringed-bill from what I can tell... but hey! I'm not very good at IDs...