PDA

View Full Version : Water oiff a ducks back....

Joseph Przybyla
01-15-2015, 07:39 PM
The morning was dark, cloudy and misty, in spite of that I went to Lake Mirror. I captured this Ring-necked Duck just as it surfaced from bathing. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D7000
Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED shot at 400mm (600mm FFE)
1/1600 F/5.6 Matrix Metering + 1 EV ISO 800
Post processed in Lightroom 5 and Photoshop Elements 10
Cropped for composition, dark wave lines at the top for the frame blended and smoothed

P.S. Excuse the typo in the title of the thread, fingers faster than my brain...

Grace Scalzo
01-15-2015, 07:50 PM
This type of capture is so much fun, just wish that the duck was angling a slight bit more toward you. I could see more room on the right..tail is quite close to the frame edge.

David Salem
01-16-2015, 12:44 AM
Catching the water on the back and off the bill is totally cool, looks like crystal, and I don't mind the off angle that much. It looks a bit soft on my monitor, or just isn't showing much feather detail. Might be from the tough lighting conditions.
Nice looking drake though.

Diane Miller
01-16-2015, 01:31 PM
I love the water rolling off the bird here! Nice catch! I could see taking a little more off the top and even left. There is a lot of interest in the wake behind the bird -- wondering how it would look with some more of the image included there, if you have it.

I wonder if Nik's Detail Extractor would bring out a little more detail in the head, but not something that bothers me as it is.

Joseph Przybyla
01-17-2015, 08:10 AM
Thanks everyone for viewing, commenting and offering suggestions. I think the minimal detail in the feathers is due to the flat light of a very overcast day.