PDA

View Full Version : Unknown click beetle.

Phill Luckhurst
01-15-2015, 01:48 PM
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3904/14420931364_62f7bdf5ba_b.jpg

While I have many images of this showing the whole body, for some reason I prefer this one with the insect popping out through the greenery.

Taken on the 7D, ISO 100, F9, 1/250th using the EF-S 60mm lens and the internal flash firing a diffused external flash on a bracket. I've been using the EF-S 60 a lot since my MPE-65 died (I must get it fixed) and am really enjoying it. I always shoot handheld and this day was quite windy so the camera was resting on my left arm with my left hand holding the stem of the plant. Focussing in manual simply by moving the plant nearer/further with my outstretched fingers. Sounds awkward written but I find it quite simple and effective.

Diane Miller
01-16-2015, 11:43 PM
Amazing sharpness! I really like the light but wish you had been able to move the leaf obscuring the back end. (Don't you have three hands?) I find the sharp bit of plant detail just ahead of the mouth to be really attractive.

Phill Luckhurst
01-17-2015, 11:28 AM
Thanks Diane. Hopefully in a few weeks the weather will warm up and more insects will appear.

Jonathan Ashton
01-19-2015, 04:16 AM
Yes this works for me too, I like the appearance of the beetle coming through the foliage, the head and thorax are good and sharp. The left antenna is almost in focus, had you not been quite so close I think you may have gotten it in focus and I think this would have enhanced the image. Nevertheless I think this is an image out of the ordinary and it makes for interesting viewing, well done.

Steve Maxson
01-23-2015, 11:42 AM
Hi Phill. I like the look of this one too (and your hand-holding technique which also works for me when using the MPE-65 lens). Very nice sharpness within your DOF. My only suggestion is that you might consider toning down the brightest areas of the background - especially the ULC which tends to draw my eye from your subject. Overall, this is nicely done!

Phill Luckhurst
01-23-2015, 12:19 PM
Thanks, I think you are right on toning down a little. I will try that later.

I got my MPE-65 back today only to drop and break my MT24EX while testing it. Heyho, such a fun hobby.

shane shacaluga
01-27-2015, 06:08 AM
Nice image and I also like the added foliage in the FG

Very sharp and nice details on the various segments of the beetle

TFS