PDA

View Full Version : Duchesnay Creek #2

Andrew McLachlan
01-12-2015, 07:58 PM
Here is a vertical composition of Duchesnay Creek in North Bay, Ontario. I was very careful in my approach to this ice formation in the foreground, at the river's edge...not sure if it would support my weight...only one way to find out I guess :S3:

Nikon D800
Nikon 18-35mm lens @ 22mm
ISO 50
f16 @ 0.4 sec
Nikon Polarizer

Look forward to comments.

Don Railton
01-12-2015, 11:16 PM
Hi Andrew

I prefer the first image of this creek over this one. The eye moved easier through that scene to me. In this image the patination in the ice at very bottom appeals most to me and I think I would have made more of that and less of the trees, maybe that's simply because rivers and ice formations are not common in Perth? not sure.. I also think the water flow across the image does not provide the same draw as the first image... I am a bit worried that you feel happy to walk out on thin ice at -30C with your camera gear in a 3 layer suit just for this image... I am not convinced I would do that...

regards

DON

Tobie Schalkwyk
01-13-2015, 01:06 AM
Quite an interesting shot made up by the water & ice formations, Andrew. My eyes are begging for width (it's a personal thing!) so I can just wonder what a 10mm shot of this scene would look like.

This brings back memories of a water stream in a gorge I slipped into a few years ago during a hike. It spat me out, flying gracefully through the air and into a mountain pool. My compact flash camera is still down there somewhere (or whatever is left of it). I could only save the recording disk in my video recorder...

Diane Miller
01-15-2015, 07:49 PM
I like this equally as much as the first -- and that's a lot. We don't see as many vertical-format landscapes and that gives it an element of surprise for me. The colors and tonalities are lovely, and perfectly suggest the cold weather for me. I'm wondering if some of the snow is verging on being blown out, but it can easily pass for jut a touch of brighter light there.

For me, ther is a stunning second image in this one, in about the bottom 3/5. The swirl of the ice pulls me in to the horizontal flow of the water, with a perfect SS on its flow. The textures and shapes there make a lovely almost-abstraction.

Anette Mossbacher
01-16-2015, 03:04 AM
Hi Andrew,

a nice scene. I as well like the ice in the FG very much and the stream flowing through the image. The rocks and trees just do not add much to this. The BG should either be softer or I would crop them out. Just me.

Have a great day and weekend

Ciao
Anette

Don Lacy
01-16-2015, 09:21 AM
Hi Andrew, Really like the leading lines of the ice into the scene and the choice of shutter speed to create a pleasing flow to the water. The vertical comp works well for me to me with the rocks and tree giving a sense of location.

Andrew McLachlan
01-17-2015, 10:32 AM
Thanks folks for the comments and suggestions, much appreciated!

Grady Weed
01-19-2015, 09:59 AM
Hi Andrew

I prefer the first image of this creek over this one. The eye moved easier through that scene to me. In this image the patination in the ice at very bottom appeals most to me and I think I would have made more of that and less of the trees, maybe that's simply because rivers and ice formations are not common in Perth? not sure.. I also think the water flow across the image does not provide the same draw as the first image... I am a bit worried that you feel happy to walk out on thin ice at -30C with your camera gear in a 3 layer suit just for this image... I am not convinced I would do that...

regards

DON

I agree with Don. Diane said "For me, ther is a stunning second image in this one, in about the bottom 3/5. The swirl of the ice pulls me in to the horizontal flow of the water, with a perfect SS on its flow. The textures and shapes there make a lovely almost-abstraction." It does make a lot of sense. I think you have a great opportunity here for some spectacular images. TFS. Please re-shoot this scene, if you like and share with us.

Steve Kaluski
01-22-2015, 03:11 PM
Outstanding Andrew, this image has an almost 3D quality, love the layering & textures coupled with the excellent clarity & sharpness. :cheers:

TFS
Steve

Andrew McLachlan
01-25-2015, 10:19 AM
Thanks so much Steve and Grady!