PDA

View Full Version : Fly fishing.

Phill Luckhurst
01-12-2015, 04:30 PM
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5450/8871731611_4fa0242d7d_b.jpg

I've very rarely shot landscapes mainly due to lack of time to wait for the right light, plus I m not too good at getting up for the golden hour. Occasionally I do manage to be out at a good moment. This was shot on one of the Tring Reservoirs quite late in the day but the mist remained. Before PP the image showed little detail but with some help from a processing genius this was the result. I needed to keep the shutter speed up to keep the movement of the fishermen and line sharp so the ISO was well up on the 7D, beyond how far I would normally go but I over exposed a tad which helped keep the noise down. 7D, F11, ISO 3200, 1/640th. The lens was the EF-S 17-55 at 22mm.

Don Railton
01-12-2015, 06:48 PM
Hi Phil

As an occasional fly fisherman I like the action you have captured here although not so sure the gent in the boat will be so happy, that cast looks like a wind knot in the making... On opening the image I was immediately struck by the blue and purple blotchy colour which I thought was colour noise initially, but on closer inspection I think its just a magenta cast that is most apparent in the fog/mist. I would address that first and then add a bit of NR on the BG because there is still a lot of noise visible, and expected at 3200 on a 7D. Apart from that I like that the 3 groups of fishermen are separated but form a line to draw you through the image.. Might consider cropping out the sky URH side and the white signpost? centre of image.. The image appeals to me...

DON

Andrew McLachlan
01-12-2015, 08:11 PM
Hi Phil, Agree with Don...I would crop the sky in the upper right corner as it is a distraction to the eye and I would also clone out the wooden structure on the far bank of the lake too. The processing of this scene has bit of an out-of-the-box feel to it that I like...I think that is because each of the boats are sharp, but all the trees are blurred...the effect is different, but I like it too :S3:

Phill Luckhurst
01-13-2015, 07:40 AM
Thanks for the comments. Landscapes and people are one area of photography that I rarely tackle. I certainly should put more time into landscapes.

Don Lacy
01-16-2015, 09:24 AM
Hi phil, Agree with the others on cropping out the sky and I like the overall feel of the image just not sure how it holds up a larger size do to the noise.

Phill Luckhurst
01-16-2015, 10:10 AM
I've made an alternative version with less noise but a lot lighter and cropped differently.

http://www.windsurf.me.uk/Stuff/fly1.jpg

Morkel Erasmus
01-17-2015, 01:38 PM
Hi Phill
I like the moment and mood you captured. I concur with some of the critiques of the original post. There were also some strong halos present around the main fishermen.
Your repost looks better in most respects for me...
Feel free to chime in with critiquing other images here, that way we all learn and grow :cheers:

Phill Luckhurst
01-17-2015, 02:15 PM
Thanks Morkel

I have been about commenting in other places, just not the landscape forums yet. Not sure where landscape is concerned there is much to learn from me lol.. It is a genre I plan to make a lot more effort in over the coming year.