PDA

View Full Version : Great Bittern portrait

Dilom Ski
01-12-2015, 01:35 PM
http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss200/dilomski/bitternweb.jpg

Great chance to spot a Great Bittern in the local pond a few days ago.It was just 5,5m from me, and posed very well for me to try different settings on the lens/camera combo.Plus its my fav bird and I always wanted to capture it like that, alarm stance.

D7000/500mm P + tc-14b/Manual focus/f11/1-1250/1000ISO/-0,3 exp/~20% crop
Colors, little sharpen in post.

I know, could have done it on f13 or more to get a bit more dof, but when I tried there were some reeds in the way, which I didnt saw at the moment (exited) and the pics arent good.So f11 it is.Next time will try without the teleconverter.

And want to ask couple of things.I wrote to the admin, but didnt get any answer.Do I have to wait 7 days for each new thread, because I read in the info that only 48 hours are required?How to get the thumbnail for the thread like the others?Can I edit the first post of the thread after?Thank you!

Sandy Witvoet
01-12-2015, 04:40 PM
Hi Dilom! Can't help you out on the Admin things....But, this is an AWESOME image! Would like to see a bit less room on the left and a bit more on the right. ...and if you have more "neck" would like to see that too. This is very similar to the 2013 grand prize winner in the Audubon photography awards. The background could be a bit cleaner. I'm totally ok with the OOF feather on the tip of the beak. Totally loving those eyes! Bitterns are SO hard to find or photo... great work!

Diane Miller
01-12-2015, 09:12 PM
Very nice, with great eyes! Backgrounds are often less than ideal when an opportunity arises. f/13 wouldn't have given much more depth of field and is getting into diffraction softening for APS-C sensors, if that's what you have. (Sorry, don't know the Nikon equipment.)

I don't know your level of experience or how you are processing, but often distracting backgrounds can be minimized somewhat, mostly in Photoshop or other image processors.

If you are a Member (paid) there are different allowances for how often you can post. If the guidelines aren't clearly presented, let someone know. (Not my department. I tried.)

There should be an Edit button in the lower right of your post, but I think it's only there for some length of time after the post -- maybe 24 hours?

Dilom Ski
01-13-2015, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the comments.Yes, the background can be better, and can be made better, but since its my first portrait of the bittern I would leave it a bit natural, to have room and motivation for even better shot next time.Actually the season for bitterns here is pretty good, today alone I saw around 9 birds.I am sure soon there will be more nice shots of the bird:)

Diane Miller
01-13-2015, 11:42 AM
I like that reasoning! We're all striving to improve. Look forward to seeing more of this bird, and others.

Sonny Rostami
01-13-2015, 03:07 PM
Very interesting POV. Well Done

WillieHall
01-13-2015, 11:32 PM
an awesome bird to stalk and nice presentation, love the eyes....look forward to more

Melyssa St. Michael
01-24-2015, 10:01 AM
Hi Dilom! Wow! Amazing capture! It's such a rare thing to catch them in their alarm stance; normally they quietly disappear into the reeds/wetlands (at least when I am trying to capture them) and then I can't see them at all ;) The eyes are the most compelling aspect of the image for me - having said that, a small detail - the (reed?) in the lower left hand corner feels a bit bright and, to my eyes, competes with the eyes of the Bittern - maybe taking some of the brightness on that down will help to deliver more impact with that amazing gaze :) Overall gorgeous capture, and I love the up-close-and-personal feel you get from the stare :) Well done!