PDA

View Full Version : Burrowing Owl

Robert Amoruso
05-26-2008, 07:37 PM
From a few weeks ago in Cape Coral. I was conducting a private workshop and the light had already gone at sunset so was demonstrating Flash as Main Light photographing the adult in the post. Then the juvenile flew onto the back of the adult. With a 600mm + 2xTC no way I was not going to cut something. I just starting photographing and trying to compose as best I could. Of eight that the flash went off on, I have this one tied with another as my favorite.

Full frame except for a bit off the bottom to get ride of the rope around the burrow. No correction for noise.

Canon 1D Mark III
1200mm
1/300 sec, f/8
Mode: Manual
Metering: Evaluative
ISO: 800
Flash: External Manual

Edited: Eye correction was on layer that was turned off during JPG creation. Correct image uploaded.

Philippe Collard
05-26-2008, 07:52 PM
Hello Robert,

That's one striking image! Superb flash work and I love the action, the intense stare... I am not going to say "too bad you clipped the wing" because I like the framing a lot. One thing I would really do if it was mine though is work on the eyes a bit to give them a more natural look, less washed out by the flash I mean.

Cheers,

Philippe.

Paul Pagano
05-26-2008, 07:56 PM
This is really a great image, Robert. Spot on exposure. Love the perched owl looking at the other. The repost with the black eyes is a real plus.

Steve Maxson
05-26-2008, 08:00 PM
Wild action and a good job of getting both birds sharp on the eyes, Robert. I like the eyes better in Philippe's repost - they don't have that flashed look any more.

Harold Davis
05-26-2008, 08:05 PM
great flash work for sure!!! love the action and philip's repost is spot on! nice job, robert.

Jay Tan
05-26-2008, 08:09 PM
Excellent pose and mood in this image! That stare is that of a killer!

Shawn Marques
05-26-2008, 08:12 PM
Hi Robert. It's a great catch and you did wonderful with what you had to work and deal with. Especially with the lighting, as I have found that owl's plumage can be very tricky when the flash is used to illuminate it in the darkness.

Robert Amoruso
05-26-2008, 10:50 PM
Hello Robert,

That's one striking image! Superb flash work and I love the action, the intense stare... I am not going to say "too bad you clipped the wing" because I like the framing a lot. One thing I would really do if it was mine though is work on the eyes a bit to give them a more natural look, less washed out by the flash I mean.

Cheers,

Philippe.

I had the eye correction on a layer but it was off during JPG creation. My original correct image has been posted.

Brutus Ostling
05-27-2008, 01:51 AM
Only one thing to say: Wish it was in my archive. Super-congratulations!

Gus Cobos
05-27-2008, 07:41 AM
Fantastic Robert,
Love the inter action here; great detail on the wings...:D

Judy Lynn Malloch
05-27-2008, 08:29 AM
Aweome work Robert and your timing could not have been better. Big Congrats !!!

david cramer
05-27-2008, 07:19 PM
This image wouldn't be possible without the appropriate use of flash. Very well done.