PDA

View Full Version : Savute Magic

TimothyGriesel
01-12-2015, 02:03 AM
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7483/16260707592_7ee1a1db4d_b.jpg

Captured this image late one evening just after the sun had disappeared behind the horizon in the Savute Region of Chobe National Park in Northern Botswana.

The colours where simple incredible that evening (the only evening I was able to capture an image of the Sunset).

Techs:
Canon EOS 6D
Canon 17-40mm f/4
ISO 400
f/5.6
1/160sec
19mm focal length

Edited in Lightroom, basic slider changes, lens correction, sharpened and straightened

Don Railton
01-12-2015, 06:54 PM
Hi Timothy

Nice sky however its a little too dark for me overall. I would consider cropping some off the top to balance the darks with the lighter colours. Its also a pity that the tree and the cloud base intersect, isolation of those two elements and the crop would lift this image quite a lot IMHO..

I also think ISO 400 is a little conservative, I think you could have pushed that a higher to lighten the image a little, I guessing no tripod..

DON

Andrew McLachlan
01-12-2015, 08:04 PM
Hi Timothy, Don touch on each of the items I would have suggested. If you had taken several steps to the left the tree would likely not merge with the clouds or waited a few minutes for the clouds to move further along. I'd love to see a repost if you choose to try lightening this version.

Don Lacy
01-16-2015, 09:27 AM
Hi Timothy, Wonderfully dramatic sky here and I like the placement of the tree in the frame and as much as I like blacks to be black I would love to see another version if you have it about a stop and a 1/2 brighter then this one.

Morkel Erasmus
01-17-2015, 12:52 PM
Love the mood here Timothy and in principle I don't mind the darker feel here with the silhouette, but you needed the tree a bit lower in the frame and separated from that dark patch of cloud.
I presume your tripod was on max extension, perhaps standing on the back of a pickup would have worked :w3