PDA

View Full Version : Soft Lit Snowy Egret In Breeding Plumage- St Augustine, FL

Shawn Marques
05-26-2008, 06:50 PM
A snowy from the farm. Thanks for looking.:)

Canon EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +1.4x with Canon 40D, Canon Speedlite
1/1250s @ f/7.1, ISO 400
Taken hand-held in early evening

Arthur Morris
05-26-2008, 07:09 PM
Wow. A side lit image of a bird that I really like. Amazing. First one in 25 years... Love the soft light, the black BKGR, and the cut not clipped legs. Way to go.

Daniel Cadieux
05-26-2008, 07:10 PM
Man that is an interesting lighting effect you got going there, very neat! I wish the legs were complete though but ther light steals the show!

Shawn Marques
05-26-2008, 07:12 PM
Wow. A side lit image of a bird that I really like. Amazing. First one in 25 years... Love the soft light, the black BKGR, and the cut not clipped legs. Way to go.

Whoa, thanks Artie. I wasn't even sure if I liked this one- I guess it's a YES now!:D

Robert Amoruso
05-26-2008, 07:24 PM
Shawn,

It works great as the lighting is very dramatic with the black BG. The bird's position is just right for this lighting.

Arthur Morris
05-26-2008, 07:29 PM
Whoa, thanks Artie. I wasn't even sure if I liked this one- I guess it's a YES now!:D

Hey, if I like it and you hate it then you should still hate it, and visa versa!

Paul Pagano
05-26-2008, 07:34 PM
Looks like you shot a model in a studio with side lighting....well done.. I like it.

Shawn Marques
05-26-2008, 07:34 PM
Shawn,

It works great as the lighting is very dramatic with the black BG. The bird's position is just right for this lighting.

Thanks, Robert. I thought I was going to get pounded because much of the body is not in the light. Honestly, I didn't think that this side lit bird was a good thing. Glad I took the chance and posted it- a great lesson learned here. :)

Shawn Marques
05-26-2008, 07:41 PM
Hey, if I like it and you hate it then you should still hate it, and visa versa!

Hi Artie. I haven't been doing this photography long. I don't remember ever seeing any side lit birds so I just thought that this might be a no-no. I was attracted to the image- I just was not sure if it was a good enough image because much of the bird is not in the light.

Have a wonderful trip. I wish you smooth sailing. ;)

Cindy Cone
05-26-2008, 08:33 PM
I like this a lot, Shawn! Thanks for taking the chance on posting it and helping us all learn more about when side-lighting might work.

Judy Lynn Malloch
05-27-2008, 08:42 AM
Very striking and the perfect pose. Glad you posted this one Shawn !!!!! The side lighting creates and adds a whole knew dimension to this image.