PDA

View Full Version : "Momma & Poppa holding hands"

Gus Hallgren
05-26-2008, 05:56 PM
Hi Folks :Momma & Poppa House Finches paid a visit to our garden while I was waking up with my first coffee of the day. Nice to wake up with the birds. Tried something different today, haven't been to town to pick up a Polarizing filter as Al suggested, so I used ND2 Neutral Density filter I have had in the drawer for quite awhile. I was using a fill flash too, however, it couldn't keep up with continuous shooting, and this is one it missed . . Awaiting your critques and suggestions . . . . Gus :)

Olympus E-510, Zuiko 100-300 ED
Aperture Priority F/7.1 1/320
-0.70 eV
200 ISO
526 mm equiv focal length Hand Held
Auto WB
Cropped very little to about 3000 x 2500 px then resized to 800

Gus Cobos
05-26-2008, 06:11 PM
NOW NOW GUS...How much did you pay them for the modeling job???:D:p;):)
Great capture and composition...I love it...:)

Nonda Surratt
05-26-2008, 07:52 PM
Super detail and I really like the eye contact!

Alfred Forns
05-26-2008, 08:26 PM
Love it Gus !!!! Getting two sharp and with enough dof in frame is a difficult task !!! I like it a lot !!!

Having both birds in the same plane enables you to have them within the dof. Not sure I would use the ND filter since the only function is to decrease the amount of light. I do use ND filters so I can do blurs in bright sunshine. I use a nine 1/3 stop filter. The polarizer is different since it cuts down flare. The only downside is blocking light.

Exposure poses and detail looks very good. Might selectively darken the area under the female just a bit to make her pop even more !!!

Desmond Chan
05-26-2008, 09:21 PM
As stated, sharp and good DOF. I like the darker background here; it really makes the birds stand out. I think overall I just like the lighting of this photo. May be it was a blessing in disguise that the flash missed this one.

Gus Hallgren
05-27-2008, 11:46 AM
Hi Folks: Thank you very much for your positive comments . . very much appreciated . . . Gus

mikedelaney
05-27-2008, 06:11 PM
hay Gus,
i really like this one. i have trouble getting the definition and detail and focus that you get. what's the secret?
mike

Oscar Zangroniz
05-27-2008, 07:57 PM
Great capture and nicely exposed.
Congrats,