PDA

View Full Version : Garden Bee

Grahame Hamblin
01-09-2015, 06:55 PM
Suddenly i am taking picks again cropped and tweeked Genaral comments welcome. May be a little over done
Grahame

Diane Miller
01-09-2015, 11:39 PM
Very nice! I notice the thumbnail is much less saturated than the post. You have left the file in ProPhoto color space, which is great for a working space if you know the caveats, but it won't display correctly on many browsers. Web posts should always be converted to sRGB.

Could be bigger. Not overdone on my calibrated monitor and color-managed browser, which will display it correctly.

Jonathan Ashton
01-10-2015, 05:52 AM
Grahame you are certainly on the right track. I try not to look at previous comments so if there is repetition - sorry.
1 Suggest larger image you can got to 1200px wide and up to 900px high, max.
2 Colours look pleasant but very rich to me and the blacks perhaps just a little dense.
3 Focus and depth of field (DOF) good, the insect is however facing the "wrong" way. We can see the body very clearly but the feature of interest is usually the other end i.e. the head. If you manage to get the camera at a right angle to the subject you can of the get a pleasing informative image. If you go a little less i.e. angled toward the front of the bee you will get to see a little more of the face. All easy to say in retrospect - harder to do in the field but looking at this shot I am sure you will soon get the hang of things. I often say to myself what do I want to photograph and what am I trying to achieve - it sometimes helps.

Steve Maxson
01-12-2015, 11:03 AM
Hi Grahame. I don't think I've seen a bee or wasp with spines on the edges of the abdomen before - interesting! (Please remember to include your shooting specs with your post. :S3: ) Good sharpness and DOF on your subject. (I'm viewing this on an uncalibrated laptop so I can't comment on the colors and saturation.) I would agree with Jon that the image would be stronger if we were viewing it from the from rather than the rear.

Phill Luckhurst
01-12-2015, 03:05 PM
Nice focus and DOF but agree the angle could be better. Not easy but shooting bees can get addictive.

One of the best macro photographers I have ever seen would be John Kimbler. He has some excellent tutorials on shooting bees here - http://dalantech.deviantart.com/gallery/4122501/Tutorials and in his blog http://nocroppingzone.blogspot.co.uk/

Grahame Hamblin
01-13-2015, 01:07 PM
Thank you all for comments . Al taken on board agree with all. They all seam to turn there back on me but will keep trying.
Grahame