PDA

View Full Version : Balance Rock

Don Lacy
01-09-2015, 04:39 PM
My first afternoon in Arches was spent shooting balance rock and I went with the wide angle to anchor the formation to its surroundings, plus I find the telephoto images to be a bit boring. Now that I am looking at this again I probably should have cropped from the right

Another two image blend using luminosity mask for the blend and a whole lot of processing to get the look i was after I think I ended up with 12 layers and numerous mask.
Canon 6D, 16-35 f/4 IS, Manual Mode. Cloned out a few foot prints and a stick that was bothering me

Diane Miller
01-09-2015, 11:14 PM
Wonderful use of wide angle! I love the shaded FG and wouldn't think of any need to crop on the right. I love the gesture of that tree having plenty of room.

Andrew McLachlan
01-09-2015, 11:30 PM
Hi Don, another lovely scene. My only suggestion here would have been to take one step to the left so that the tree did not merge with the rock formation.

Tobie Schalkwyk
01-11-2015, 09:27 AM
Nice spot, nice shot Don! I like the anchor point (log) in the front!

Don Railton
01-11-2015, 06:34 PM
Beautiful Don. I see no need to crop either... Love the FG log, agree with Andrews call on the branch intersection, and there is a bit of blue in the blacks... All an easy fix in PP..

DON

Morkel Erasmus
01-17-2015, 01:01 PM
Lovely light and scene here Don. You certainly placed your elements nicely, although I cannot help but wonder how it would have looked with the FG stump to the RHS, balancing out diagonally with Balance Rock? The tree feels to me as if it's not carrying enough visual mass with the Balance Rock and the FG stump occupying LHS space...hope it's making sense?