PDA

View Full Version : Grey Ghost [High ISO]

arash_hazeghi
01-09-2015, 02:28 PM
This is a male harrier, he was standing on a kill (duck) and consuming it. The males are very illusive and more difficult to photograph than females. This image was made in very low light thus the high ISO.

Shot with 1D-X and 300 f/2.8II + 2X III. ISO 6400. f/5.6 at 1/1250sec. processed with DPP 4. I hope you like it

William Dickson
01-09-2015, 03:29 PM
Very nice Arash. I know how different it is to use the high ISO, as I have been using ISO 4000 recently on my Tree Creeper and Crested Tit images, both needing a fairly fast shutter speed, as they are very quick moving birds. But, it just goes to show that both the 1DX that you are using and the 5D3 that I was using, can both cope with the high ISO settings. I reckon, if I was using my 7D Mk2 at that ISO the result would not be as good.

I love the colours on this bird and the sharpness, Grey Ghost is a very suitable title. Lovely POV and HA. I wish the BG was not so busy.

Thanks for sharing this.

keith mitchell
01-09-2015, 04:26 PM
Grey ghost fits it nicely Arash,even at such a high iso it still looks quality to me.

Keith.

Grace Scalzo
01-09-2015, 06:39 PM
Quite a wonderful image of a difficult subject. Processing is excellent as we've come to expect from you, Arash.

Bob Smith
01-09-2015, 09:01 PM
You ( OK---and others ) kill me with images like this Arash but it sure inspires me to keep trying.

Steve Kaluski
01-10-2015, 08:50 AM
Hi Arash, I like the angle/body posture, likewise the HA. The OOF FG vegetation I do find slightly distracting, but can appreciate your POV, as often in Wildlife we have to contend with this. What was the EV, also compared to previous high ISO image you have posted in the past the hint of noise is a bit more evident I think. Really need to get out of just going to 3200 and trying more the 6400, but personally avoiding Auto ISO.

TFS
Steve

Miguel Palaviccini
01-10-2015, 09:44 AM
Pretty darn clean, you could have fooled me with ISO 6400!

It looks like there is a branch on the right side that is OOF and is just a bit distracting. Maybe a bit of cloning would take care of that.

For this image, assuming you had all the time, would you have felt comfortable bringing the ISO down to say 1600 and trading it for shutter speed? I mean, this is really clean so I'm not saying you had to, but it may have been less work in post?

arash_hazeghi
01-10-2015, 01:26 PM
Pretty darn clean, you could have fooled me with ISO 6400!

It looks like there is a branch on the right side that is OOF and is just a bit distracting. Maybe a bit of cloning would take care of that.

For this image, assuming you had all the time, would you have felt comfortable bringing the ISO down to say 1600 and trading it for shutter speed? I mean, this is really clean so I'm not saying you had to, but it may have been less work in post?

Hi Miguel, I was setup for flight so didn't have time to change the settings here. as for post processing, it really isn't that different just change one of the settings in DPP when converting

best

arash_hazeghi
01-10-2015, 01:28 PM
Hi Arash, I like the angle/body posture, likewise the HA. The OOF FG vegetation I do find slightly distracting, but can appreciate your POV, as often in Wildlife we have to contend with this. What was the EV, also compared to previous high ISO image you have posted in the past the hint of noise is a bit more evident I think. Really need to get out of just going to 3200 and trying more the 6400, but personally avoiding Auto ISO.

TFS
Steve

Thanks Steve, where do you see hint of noise?

Not sure I understand your comment about Auto ISO and EV ? what does that have to do with this image? (?)

Steve Kaluski
01-10-2015, 01:34 PM
Hi Arash, I though it might be in the more dirtier whites under the tail feathers, am on the laptop so not ideal???????

Regarding the ISO, I tend to keep to 3200, occasionally if pushed, going to 6400 and looking more at some your images I shouldn't hold back, but some feel going to Auto ISO is good, as yet I still have to be convinced.

Hope it makes sense. :S3:

Bill Dix
01-10-2015, 04:28 PM
Congrats on getting the elusive grey ghost. Great look from him, and nicely processed to get such noise-free detail with those settings.

Satish Ranadive
01-11-2015, 05:00 AM
Gorgeous.

Regards,
Satish.

arash_hazeghi
01-12-2015, 02:51 AM
Hi Arash, I though it might be in the more dirtier whites under the tail feathers, am on the laptop so not ideal???????

Regarding the ISO, I tend to keep to 3200, occasionally if pushed, going to 6400 and looking more at some your images I shouldn't hold back, but some feel going to Auto ISO is good, as yet I still have to be convinced.

Hope it makes sense. :S3:

Thanks Steve,

as posted I don't see much grain in that area but when I zoom to 200% I see some grain, so in this repost I attempted to take it out.

As for Auto ISO I never use it, just like auto exposure it can mess up and cause blown highlights or sever dark image...I set my ISO manually

best

Steve Kaluski
01-12-2015, 02:57 AM
Hi Arash, for me this image (and past High ISO images posted) just goes to prove we shouldn't be afraid to push the ISO and explore the possibilities, nothing to loose and everything to gain, thanks.

As for Auto ISO I never use it, just like auto exposure it can mess up and cause blown highlights or sever dark image...I set my ISO manually

My thought too, a setting that will remain, Disabled.

David Salem
01-14-2015, 08:33 PM
Nice close look at this Grey Ghost. Not often that we see them sitting so I'm sure you were exited to see this one. Too bad there wasn't better light but you seem to make the best out of a dark situation. Nice capture Arash