PDA

View Full Version : Cadis Moult

Phill Luckhurst
01-08-2015, 09:59 AM
Thought I would join here as there are some great photographs and photographers I can learn from. Here is one of my images taken handheld with the 7D and an EF-S 60mm + Extension Tubes with a pair of flashguns remotely triggered by the cameras internal flash. I am not a fan of macro with an all black background but this is not quite that. It is actually the slightly dirty roof of my car which that day was covered in insects. I liked the effect the flash was having on the dust. I simply rested 2 flash guns on their sides on the roof of the car and let the internal flash trigger them. I was getting very strange looks from people in the car park.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3855/14389421613_29af452867_z_d.jpg

Diane Miller
01-09-2015, 11:32 PM
This is wonderful, and what a neat idea the shoot it that way! (I can imagine the looks you got.) Would love to see it bigger.

Jonathan Ashton
01-10-2015, 06:00 AM
Phil welcome to Macro! Excellent focus - good DOF. Lighting is good too, I am not usually a fan of black backgrounds but it works for me here. I sense you have gone for the "close as I can get approach", sometimes a good idea sometimes it pays to back off just a little. The closer you get the higher the mag and the less DOF, come back a tad and at these distances you see a significant difference because the subject is relatively small, a small increase in DOF can make a big difference to a small subject.
I like the reflection. The small specular highlights do not trouble me sometimes people like to minimise them - OK in forums like this but in serious competiton it would be looked upon favourably at all - some comps may allow some may quite literally ban.

Phill Luckhurst
01-10-2015, 11:13 AM
Thanks Diane & Jonathan.

In this image I liked the specular highlights. Due to the location and the subject it was not really possible to clean things up and re-shoot anyway. Hopefully this coming spring I will get more opportunities with these little beasties.

Steve Maxson
01-10-2015, 12:05 PM
Welcome to the Macro Forum, Phill! You used an interesting setup that worked quite well. Very sharp where it most needs to be and the reflection really adds to the image (your car must be a lot cleaner than mine :S3: ). In this case, I think all the specular highlights add interest and leaves one wondering - how did he do that? I hope to see more of your work here in Macro!

Phill Luckhurst
01-14-2015, 06:18 AM
Thanks Steve.