PDA

View Full Version : Wildlife Photography at wider angles (without the use of fancy gimmicks)

Morkel Erasmus
01-08-2015, 04:10 AM
Hey folks! Happy 2015 to all you BPN'ers out there :D.

As usual (like many others) I like to do a round-up/reflection/memoir of my year's photographic journey on my blog.
This year, I've done it with a twist though. I made a resolution early in 2014 to put down the telephoto lens more often when on safari, and pick up the shorter lenses more. I've always had a gravitation towards the "animalscape" and "sense of environment" shots.

So, the collection I posted on my blog is called
"10 below 100"
10 images taken at focal lengths of 100mm or less. Also - no drones, remote buggies or selfie sticks/inverted monopods used...(perhaps because I'm a cheapskate :bugeyed:).

I hope you enjoy it - would love to hear what you think!
LINK TO BLOG (http://bit.ly/Morkel2014)

Have a super weekend!

Phill Luckhurst
01-08-2015, 12:10 PM
I think many of us are guilty of grabbing the long lens. I plan to do the same and use the shorter lenses this year, I'll see how long it lasts.

Great blog with some lovely images.

Diane Miller
01-08-2015, 07:00 PM
Beautiful images! And idea!

Mike Hitchen
01-09-2015, 03:26 AM
A very nice set of photos!
I take it the first shot of the lion is cropped :eek3:
#7 with the elephants is both different and very impressive - that would be straight on my wall

Don Lacy
01-09-2015, 01:22 PM
Wonderful work Morkel one day I will be in Africa

Grady Weed
01-09-2015, 01:55 PM
My favorite is #7 "Into the storm". I love the clouds, elephants headed into the storm invokes a final journey if you will. The b&w, my favorite way of imaging, really highlights the clouds and impending danger perhaps and the subtleness of the long walk ahead. I also like #9 "Kalahari dune storm" The lightning makes this image. The grass blown over tells the viewer the wind is blowing! It draws you right in. The last one is #3 "Wild coast rocks". Put simply, it reminds me of the rocky coast of Maine, my for now home state. Once again the black & white gives the best tones and hues of such a image, to me anyway. I like long exposures for seascapes. Thanks for sharing Morkel.

Morkel Erasmus
01-14-2015, 04:16 AM
Thanks so much for your time and comments, friends! :5