PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Forest Brook Ice Abstract.

Daniel Cadieux
01-06-2015, 06:44 PM
After photographing a Snowy Owl on January 1st, I continued my New Year's Day by photographing really neat patterns in the ice of a frozen-over brook in a local forest. The lack of snow combined with cold temperatures made for some unique opportunities with all the frozen bodies of water clear of any snow on them. This brook, or stream, was still running and bubbling fast and loudly under the ice and with a bit of imagination it was not dif...ficult to see why frozen "bubbles" would have appeared.
Just for size reference the smaller circles in the top half of the image averaged about the diameter of a pencil eraser, and these patterns were all over (or under) the ice for as far as I could follow the five-foot wide brook. The ice was also thick enough to walk on (water depth was about one foot at most so I was not worried). Too cool!

Canon 7D + 100mm f/2.8 macro, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/200s., f/7.1, ISO 800, FF, natural light, handheld, half a dozen specks removed via spot removal tool, kept the WB on the cool side for coldness effect

MiroslavMaric
01-07-2015, 12:51 PM
Hi Daniel,
Like the details and coldness effect, well used WB adjustment. I know the ice was flat but if mine would like to see some 3D effect (some shadows).
Cheers,
Miro

Jonathan Ashton
01-09-2015, 06:12 AM
Sharp! top to bottom side to side great detail. An interesting image contrast looks great - wondered at first if you had converted to monochrome. I could see several similar images making a very interesting montage.

Steve Maxson
01-10-2015, 11:55 AM
Love it, Daniel! Very well seen and captured and I like the cold blues of the WB!

Anita Bower
01-18-2015, 07:09 AM
A beautiful composition! Love the circles and diagonals, the textures, the lights and darks. REally well done. I think it could be difficult to find the right composition amidst all the shapes and textures, and you did a fantastic job.

Ron Conlon
01-25-2015, 01:15 PM
I thought monochrome too might be interesting, but I see that Jonathan made it there first and with a better idea.

Gabriela Plesea
03-07-2015, 11:18 AM
Hello Daniel!

Very interesting, great sharpness and contrast, love the image design and the way you achieved this "coldness effect" - I would print this if it were mine:)

Warmest regards,