PDA

View Full Version : Theme Double--crested Cormorant

Geoffrey Montagu
01-04-2015, 10:03 AM
Typical wings spread for drying. They have a smaller amount of preen oil than other birds, thus their feathers get soaked. Spending its life in water, you would think it would create a problem, but in all probability it makes it easier for them to chase fish underwater with speed and agility. C&C welcome.

D3s, Nikon 500mm+ 1.4 tc, 1/1250, f 7.1, ISO 500, Gitzo tripod, Wimberly Gimbal head.

Geoffrey

Randy Stout
01-04-2015, 07:19 PM
Geoffrey:

Nice dorsal view with lots of feather detail. Angled perch, although heavy, works as cropped. I might adjust the black point just a bit to the left to darken the blacks ever so slightly, as it seems just a bit washed out to me. I know that will move some of the shadows to blocking, but might be a better balance.

Cheers

Randy

Alan Murphy
01-04-2015, 08:37 PM
Nice detail. Wish for more of a head turn and less harsh light.

Satish Ranadive
01-05-2015, 01:50 AM
Excellent image with nice wing spread. Beautiful color pallet and composition.

Regards,
Satish.

Geoffrey Montagu
01-05-2015, 10:46 AM
Geoffrey:

Nice dorsal view with lots of feather detail. Angled perch, although heavy, works as cropped. I might adjust the black point just a bit to the left to darken the blacks ever so slightly, as it seems just a bit washed out to me. I know that will move some of the shadows to blocking, but might be a better balance.

Cheers

Randy

Thanks Randy. I thought I had adjusted the blacks to the point I liked, but as you've pointed out it did look a bit washed out, so I adjusted the blacks slightly in ACR to the left. Like the blacks more while still holding the shadow detail.

Geoffrey

Daniel Cadieux
01-05-2015, 12:22 PM
I love typical cormorant pose, although I do agree a better head angle would have been good. Well balanced comp, and good details on the feathers.

Geoffrey Montagu
01-05-2015, 06:42 PM
Thanks Everyone.

Geoffrey

OvidiuCavasdan
01-07-2015, 12:11 PM
Nice pose and good details, I like the shadows on the perch and the overall color/look of the image. The wave behind the head bothers me more than the head angle.