PDA

View Full Version : Theme Happy New Year, and the Themes Are Back!!

Daniel Cadieux
01-02-2015, 05:55 AM
Hi all, hope you had a great 2014:S3:. As my first new thread of 2015 let me get the ball rolling on the re-introduced "themes" fun that we used to have on the Avian forum. A huge thanks goes out to Stu for getting it started again, and keeping it going!! Thanks man!! Check out the sticky at top of this board for details:

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/125193-Themes

Anyhow, for the "black birds" theme here is an American Crow in high key. Hope to see lots of fun "theme" images!!

Canon 7D + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/100s., f/5.6, ISO 800, handheld, natural light, FF, darkened the pupil, spot-removed a few flecks in the plumage.

P.S. Although done for fun, the theme images are still up for critique as per usual:w3

Marina Scarr
01-02-2015, 08:00 AM
Terrific portrait to start off the New Year of themes, Daniel! Great details in your blacks and love the high key effect.

Shawn Zierman
01-02-2015, 09:23 AM
Very nice. The image shows some personality...I enjoy the relaxed pleasant expression on the bird's face. The exposure is handled perfectly. The scalloped look of the shoulder and wing feathers are highlighted nicely. Some real gentle fill flash would be sweet here as well, mainly for the face and chest of the bird...Crows are often mistreated and underappreciated...To me, it looks like someone has probably been nice to this crow...i.e. approachable....I dig that!...and your image makes it easy to appreciate.

Diane Miller
01-02-2015, 04:16 PM
Excellent -- blacks aren't easy to expose for detail. You got it here.

Satish Ranadive
01-04-2015, 08:49 AM
Absolutely superb portrait with superb details.
Love the frame, Daniel Sir.

Regards,
Satish.

Stu Bowie
01-04-2015, 02:14 PM
Hi Dan, wishing you all the best for 2015. Thanks for getting the ball rolling with the theme's and looks like you nailed the blacks nicely. Although I'm viewing this on my phone, the plumage had lots of detail. I'm only back from the 12th, but I see there are a few posted already. ��