PDA

View Full Version : Beaver Pond in Winter

Andrew McLachlan
12-31-2014, 04:20 PM
A couple of weeks ago we had a decent snow fall and some windy conditions which transformed this beaver pond into a nice winter setting...it had since warmed up and all the snow melted away. We currently do not have any decent snow on the ground for nice winter photo ops...hopefully soon....I am going stir-crazy waiting :S3: On a positive note though it is nice to know that numerous snowy owls have returned to Ontario and one is hanging out in the agricultural field behind my home.

Hope everybody has a Happy New Year!!!

Nikon D800
Nikon 18-35mm lens @ 19mm
ISO 400
f`6 @ 1/160 sec
Handheld

Nik Detail Extractor used to bring out some of the detail in the snow and ice and those little rodent tracks in the lower right area.

Look forward to comments.

dankearl
01-02-2015, 04:10 AM
I like the textures of the snow and ice a lot and a nice pastel sky.
i would be tempted to clone out the branch protruding into the sky on the left.

Morkel Erasmus
01-02-2015, 05:34 AM
I really like the feel of this one, Andrew. Nice comp, and even though this scene could easily come across as busy/cluttered it actually doesn't to my eye (partly because you got some nicely isolated FG elements).

Happy New Year, and good light to you :5 :cheers:

Don Lacy
01-02-2015, 01:01 PM
Nice use of the FG to anchor the image and wonderful texture in the snow

David Cowling
01-02-2015, 04:48 PM
A lovely composition which creates order out of chaos. Great texture in the ice and snow.Nice detail in the sky. If it were mine I might try cropping a little on the right to loose the small piece of snow in the bottom corner. Still waiting for our first snowfall in the UK.

Don Railton
01-03-2015, 06:34 AM
Hi Andrew

It's busy but enjoyable. I particularly like the snow textures and the FG. I am with Dan in that I think that branch is a little too invasive into the scene, if its top were pruned down level to the tree tops at least I would be happier. I also see that some of the tree tops seem to have a blue tinge while others don't. Maybe a bit of indifferent masking in the dodging & burning??

DON

Diane Miller
01-06-2015, 11:11 PM
I love it! The sweeping lines pull my eye along a curve down the river, and the smooth snow details are complemented by the delicately detailed tracery of trees.

I live in an area where we think it's cold when it's 40 degrees. Above. Farenheit. Anything with snow outside of a ski area is fascinating.

Andrew McLachlan
01-09-2015, 10:53 PM
Thanks so much for the comments folks, much appreciated.

TimothyGriesel
01-12-2015, 02:23 AM
I like this Andrew

The image is busy, no questions about it but your FG anchors it.

As David has said, perhaps consider removing the small piece of snow in the bottom right corner by cropping but otherwise, well processed and presented.

Hazel Grant
02-01-2015, 05:01 PM
I'm a bit late getting into this conversation, but that's ok because all has been said that needs to be. I like it. We see lots of "snow" picture, but this one has contrast we don't often see. Land doesn't have to be all deep snow to be beautiful.

Geoffrey Montagu
03-05-2015, 10:01 AM
Also a tad late to your post. Very much like this landscape you've captured, Andrew. Especially like the re-frozen snow and the blue sky and clouds reflected in the clear open water.

Geoffrey