PDA

View Full Version : Greylag Geese

David Cowling
12-31-2014, 02:33 PM
A Pair of Greylags alighting on a river in Norfolk UK.

Canon 7D. 100-400 L. 1/1000 @ f 5.6. ISO 400. Raw developed in DPP and CS6. Looking at it on the web I think it may be able to stand a little more sharpening.

Diane Miller
01-01-2015, 05:32 PM
Nice light and action! I'm always undecided how to crop an image like this. You want room for them to move into, but the wake behind them is also interesting. You have a very nice splash in front of them, too.

I like that you included the whole reflection without cutting into it. I might think about a soft gradient to lighten the dark areas at the top, just a little, and possibly to darken the bottom a little, to give some weight to the bottom of the image.

David Cowling
01-03-2015, 04:16 AM
Thank you for the critique Diane. I have worked on your suggestions and feel that they bring more emphasis on the birds.148044

Miguel Palaviccini
01-03-2015, 09:50 AM
Very nice capture David. The fact that the heads and leading edges of the wings are separated from each other is a nice bonus - especially since it;s something you can't control!

I agree with Diane about the crop, it's tough to decide how to crop an image when you have so many options!

Just a tad more sharpening on the heads, especially the rear one, and you're set!

David Cowling
01-05-2015, 09:32 AM
Thanks Diane and Miguel and thank you to all who have commented on my posts here, you have given me some great advice which I hope to take forward to my future postings on Avian.