PDA

View Full Version : Florida Keys - 2nd week of January

Barry Ekstrand
12-31-2014, 12:03 PM
Hi,

I will be heading to Marathon the second week of January and will likely have 1 day for bird photography. I'm looking for recommendations on spots to make it a productive day (my big lens is a 500 mm plus teleconverters). If possible I would like to shoot for birds other than the common ducks, egrets and herons as I get lots of them at home in Texas. I would love to get a Bald Eagle or other bird of prey, but I would like to hear of any really good spots in the Keys, plus recommendations specific to the Marathon area if I get another morning or evening opportunity. Thanks in advance!

Barry

Don Lacy
12-31-2014, 02:21 PM
Have not shot down in the keys in a long time but any of the pdocks
where they clean fish will be good and if you can get to Bahi Honda for shore birds. Be on the look put for great white heron at the docks

Marina Scarr
01-01-2015, 10:54 AM
I am sorry to say I have never taken a bird picture in the keys. You may want to check with an Audubon society down that way and they could point you in the right direction. They are normally very helpful.

andresleon
01-02-2015, 12:38 AM
I would suggest visiting the Florida Keys Wild Bird Rehabilitation Center. You can also go to https://public.myfwc.com/FWRI/EagleNests/nestlocator.aspx#search and do a search of Eagle Nest locations by county (Monroe) Sadly either the site hasn't been updated with recent activity or the nests haven't been active since 2013.

Good luck!