PDA

View Full Version : Year End Post

Steve Canuel
12-30-2014, 11:23 PM
Thought I'd end the posting year with the same species I started with. Another slow year photographically for me and another year of lost open space for these animals. This area has already been graded and staked off for yet another overcrowded housing development with a fancy sounding name. Besides the loss of this section of grassland, the development has also cut off a corridor to some of the little remaining open space they had access to. Unfortunately, something I'm sure most people on here are all too familiar with. This one was from an early August evening when the males were starting to gather in preparation for the rut. I like how it shows the subtle differences that can occur in the horns. 5DMKII, 500/4 + 1.4xTCII, f6.3, 1/640s, ISO 1600, HH from vehicle, cropped all around, mostly from left and bottom, PP'd in PSE10. Wishing everyone a Happy New Year filled with many memorable, productive photo outings.

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
12-31-2014, 06:24 AM
Steve, this is a beautiful image. I like the blurred FG & BG which make the subject stand out nicely. I share your feelings and sentiments & hope for the better in 2015.

Rachel Hollander
12-31-2014, 08:56 AM
Hi Steve - Nice tones and they certainly gave you good looks to camera. Placement in frame works well too. I think you can probably tease a little more detail out by opening up the midtones slightly. It's really a shame about the destruction of habitat and you are correct, it continues to occur everywhere.

Happy New Year and TFS,
Rachel

Andreas Liedmann
12-31-2014, 11:13 AM
Hi Steve , i like the image as presented with a really nice low POV , Nice tones and colors.
The subjects standing out nicely due to the great DOF :cheers:.

Have a great 2015 with more time and options for photography , i feel sorry for your subjects because of loss of habitat :e3.

TFS Andreas

Steve Kaluski
01-02-2015, 08:06 AM
Hi Steve, i think it works well as presented, but also as an option you could I feel, loose about half the FG mush without hurting the image or loosing any of it's character. Like the way you have the 'horizon' in line with the ridge of their backs, nice.

All the very best for the New Year.

TFS
Steve

Marc Mol
01-02-2015, 12:16 PM
Love the light and attention you've got from this pair Steve, and do agree that the placement along the horizon line is very pleasing.
The habitat loss is most unfortunate and what some people may call progress. :2eyes2:

TFS

Morkel Erasmus
01-04-2015, 02:51 PM
Habitat fragmentation is destructive on every continent - and there's little we can do to stop it with the human population increasing exponentially every year.
Lovely light and tones here, and a nice shooting angle.
Here's hoping for a better year photographically for you in 2015, Steve!
:cheers: